Premed 101 Forums

Applying to UofT for NSERC ? (possible?)

medigeek

For those of you who don't know me I'm in 1st year at UOIT, and after filling out my NSERC application to apply at my school... I'm limited to only one project where I got a decent shot (because practically everything requires second/third year courses + exp in certain settings like microbio labs). And even in that case, someone in 3rd year who's equal to me in all other ways will probably still get that one project over me.

So since I've been told and read that NSERC isn't limited to only your own university, I was wondering about trying UofT perhaps? Anyone have any details they could shed about this, and whether it will be feasible or not.

I do have a 4.0 so GPA won't be an issue for this, only that I'm a first year...

For those of you who don't know me I'm in 1st year at UOIT, and after filling out my NSERC application to apply at my school... I'm limited to only one project where I got a decent shot (because practically everything requires second/third year courses + exp in certain settings like microbio labs). And even in that case, someone in 3rd year who's equal to me in all other ways will probably still get that one project over me.

So since I've been told and read that NSERC isn't limited to only your own university, I was wondering about trying UofT perhaps? Anyone have any details they could shed about this, and whether it will be feasible or not.

I do have a 4.0 so GPA won't be an issue for this, only that I'm a first year...

Dear Medigreed,

Although you aren't limited by their universities, your chances are pretty slim. Especially since you do not attend UofT, it's hard to make connections with professors who would be willing to take you over the hundreds of NSERC applications he receives from UofT students in a year, from which some of them have 4.0s too. This is one of the reasons why some of these people, whom you claim to be dumb, choose to attend UofT over UOIT. :rolleyes:

FYI. Although medical schools consider 4.0s equivalent at every university, this doesn't mean the professors think the same way too.

Dear Medigreed,

Although you aren't limited by their universities, your chances are pretty slim. Especially since you do not attend UofT, it's hard to make connections with professors who would be willing to take you over the hundreds of NSERC applications he receives from UofT students in a year, from which some of them have 4.0s too. This is one of the reasons why some of these people, whom you claim to be dumb, choose to attend UofT over UOIT. :rolleyes:

FYI. Although medical schools consider 4.0s equivalent at every university, this doesn't mean the professors think the same way too.

Better to have 0 research and have 3.9-4.0 than have one nserc award and have a 3.5.

dont you agree?

Dear Medigreed,

Better to have 0 research and have 3.9-4.0 than have one nserc award and have a 3.5.

dont you agree?

omg not again...

haven't we already have this discussion?

You need to be in at least 2nd year to get an NSERC at U of T. Sorry!

well i guess that's done lol..

I'm going to throw my two cents in here - I did an NSERC at UT as a student from another university. I simply contacted a professor, she liked me, and then told me to apply. It really wasn't too hard actually.

interesting

omg not again...

haven't we already have this discussion?

he mentioned it first.

Your funding would be from UofT. I think funding is actually associated with the prof you're doing the NSERC with. That's why there's a list of NSERC eligible profs? I'm not sure... someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes I'm pretty sure that the funding is based on the P.I. grant for NSERC funding.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest LeCreuset

Although not from UOIT I do work at UofT (this will be my 2nd summer now holding NSERC there) over the summer coming from Queen's, so it's definitely doable.

Also NSERC USRA funding is not taken from the PI's grant.. It is separate funding issued by the gov't to the university to disburse onto X number of nominees.

N.B. I've had two summers of work with other profs in the same department that introduced my to my current PI.

Although not from UOIT I do work at UofT (this will be my 2nd summer now holding NSERC there) over the summer coming from Queen's, so it's definitely doable.

Also NSERC USRA funding is not taken from the PI's grant.. It is separate funding issued by the gov't to the university to disburse onto X number of nominees.

N.B. I've had two summers of work with other profs in the same department that introduced my to my current PI.

Did those other profs not want you back? :confused:

Yes I'm pretty sure that the funding is based on the P.I. grant for NSERC funding.

actually, I think the government pays the profs the usra nserc fee and the prof pays the students.. that's why it has to be a prof with nserc. because the method of funding is that. I highly doubt the funding comes out of the profs pocket.

Archived