Premed 101 Forums

UBC OT Interview

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone have any info regarding how many ppl/the percentage of applicants who get interview offers! I just got my offer for March 9th but I'm wondering how good my chances are of succeeding in this interview considering I'm not a resident of BC. Also, how many people they are taking in this year?

Hi everyone

Apparently they interview 125 applicants for the 48 seats in the program. I remember reading preference is given to BC residents, however there are a certain number of seats reserved for out of province students. My interview is on March 9th... and I've often thought it was a tough deal to have to organize flights in basically 2 weeks to get to UBC for the interview !

Has anyone heard of the types of questions that are asked in the interview ? I am under the impression it is a behavioural interview, so you have to describe what you've done in the past to show how you would act in the future.. I'm assuming they will ask some questions about our OT related experience...

I'm just practicing by thinking of questions and forming my answers. I've heard of people video taping themselves to critique themselves ? But it's only a half hour so there is only so many questions they can ask , I assume

Hey,

Yeah I'm quite sure it would :(, which is why I'm worried. I'm going to be flying out. Where are you going from? I'm gonna be flying from Toronto probably on the 8th in the morning.

Have you applied to U of T as well ? I have, as a back up but I'm a BC resident and want to go to UBC if possible. Any reason you chose UBC over U of T, or are you just increasing your odds like me ?

Hi there

Oh that's comforting to know there's only 125 being interviewed, I was under the impression that it'd be around 200-300 (like Mac) and 48 out of that is kind of depressingly low. Hm well I kind of have always wanted to go out of province for grad school for a change, and I've heard really good things about Vancouver and UBC so that's why I applied to it. That being said, I obviously applied to multiple schools besides UBC. But, I did not apply to UofT, partly because I didn't want to live in Toronto and also because I just have a personal bias against UofT..haha! I have a lot of friends who go to UBC (not for OT)but most of them say the same thing that the environment in UofT is just too stressful and competitive.

Where else did you apply UBC MOT Hopeful?

Hi,

Thanks for posting about the 125 interviews total... It feels better to kind of know how many you are up against. I preparing for it like you... Kind of like for a job interview? Mine is on the 8th though...

Will you be wearing suits to the interview? Or something more casual?

How did the interviews go?

Mine seemed to fly by and I was surprised by the simplicity of some of the questions. I found it tough to maintain a certain level of enthusiasm when faced with the excellent poker faces of my panel.

I'm curious to find out about some of your experiences.

• 2 weeks later...

I felt the same way! Totally hard to keep up the enthusiasm when you see your panel's faces just dead stare you -.-. But I think it flew by really fast, and definitely left being like "AH FORGOT TO MENTION THAT!"....oh well. Overall I think it was alright! Though one of the other interviewees that I waited with told us that they were only interviewing for 32-33 spots this year instead of 48 and that there are 133 people being interviewed as opposed to the 125 posted here earlier.

Anyone know anything different?

I felt the same way! Totally hard to keep up the enthusiasm when you see your panel's faces just dead stare you -.-. But I think it flew by really fast, and definitely left being like "AH FORGOT TO MENTION THAT!"....oh well. Overall I think it was alright! Though one of the other interviewees that I waited with told us that they were only interviewing for 32-33 spots this year instead of 48 and that there are 133 people being interviewed as opposed to the 125 posted here earlier.

Anyone know anything different?

I heard something similar in my group. One interviewee said that there were 48 spots but 24 of those were chosen based on GPA alone and the other 24 would be selected based on the interview. I'm not sure how many interviews took place but that definitely made things a little more intense! Overall I think it well. Not too much I would have done differently. And now we wait....

During my undergrad at UBC, they didn't use a standard GPA grading system. It was simply a percentage and the corresponding letter grade. I'm not sure what my 4.0 scale GPA is but the grade UBC OT used for my application was 80.5%.

As I understand it, grades were used as a cut-off for interview invites. After that, grades no longer mattered. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also received the unofficial email offer from UBC! :) So excited!

I'm not sure how they determine admission after the interview, but my gpa (300/400 level) is calculated at a little over 3.8 for UBC.

BC_AB will you be accepting?

Good luck to everyone!

I'm 90% sure I will accept. Haven't heard from U of A yet but I'm sure I'll stay here in Vancouver.

I was wait listed :( it's almost harder than a rejection because now I still have more waiting to do!

For those of you with an offer, when is your deadline to accept?

Good luck for those who are stil waiting to hear back!

My deadline to accept is April 18th. I'll be accepting but from conversations I had before the interview, it sounded like there were quite a few people who didn't rank UBC as their first choice. Goodluck!

My deadline to accept is April 18th. I'll be accepting but from conversations I had before the interview, it sounded like there were quite a few people who didn't rank UBC as their first choice. Goodluck!

Thanks for letting me know!!

How did you find out your deadline date? Mine wasn't in the email. Have you received a second email from the faculty of graduate studies? Thx!

How did you find out your deadline date? Mine wasn't in the email. Have you received a second email from the faculty of graduate studies? Thx!

I got a couple more emails, actually. An email from the faculty of graduate studies and a second email from the MOT department. I also just received a letter via snail mail today too. The deadline was stated in both the faculty of graduate studies email and the email from MOT.

They did say to expect those follow up emails in 3 to 4 weeks, so I wasn't expecting 3 to 4 days.

Archived