Premed 101 Forums

Medical School Admission Averages

Guest Christopher

Guest Christopher

Anybody know what the average for medical school admissions in Canada is, in percentages? I was speaking to a doctor just recently, and he told me that as long as you're above 80%, you're fine. It seems a bit low. Any opinions?

--

Thanks,

Christopher

Guest strider2004

That's about right for Queens. The GPA conversion is a bit tricky though. Getting 5 80s is better than 2 95's and 3 70s.

That's the OMSAS conversion now, 80% = 3.7?

The cut-off last year was 3.56 I believe.

Guest Christopher

Wow.. It's a lot lower than I thought. Medical school always seemed like an ivory tower, where the people inside always got 100%, and spoke in tongues.

What about the University of Toronto? Anybody know the admission average there, in percentages?

--

Thanks,

Christopher

Guest not rex morgan

I wouldn't put all of my faith in this 80% rule. I had over an 80 average, not well over, but definitely over, especially when you consider trends. When I didn't get into UBC last year, I had a why-didn't-i-get-an-interview interview. They told me my grades would "plague" me every time I tried to apply. Make sure you lead an active life in undergrad. Make sure you do things you believe in and truly enjoy. You have to have quite the list of extracurriculars to get in with that average. However, I know some people sign up for alot of clubs and don't get involved. That doesn't leave you alot to be proud of. Your undergrad shouldn't act as a hiatus from living the life you want to live. Use this as a really good excuse to take your nose out of the books, enhance the time management, and do some really amasing things.

Guest YongQ

80% is pretty accurate in my opinion. In UBC's last admissions cycle (class of 2005), the interviewed applicants had 80.1% average, and the admitted applicants had the same, which was actually down from ~82% the previous year.

Edit: The numbers I gave were the prereq averages. Here's the summary:

BC+OOP  BC Only  Interviewed  Admitted
Overall        80.7    80.4     82.5         82.4
Last 60 creds  82.8    82.5     84.7         84.8
Prereq         78.6    78.2     80.1         80.1

Guest Christopher

Thanks a bunch, YongQ. Your information is a real confidence booster. :)

If you're at the University of Toronto, do you know of a guy named Kenneth Liew? He's in first year meds at the U of T, as well.

Guest Akane200

Ken's pretty famous huh? :) (he's a friend of mine too) He's actually finished first year and will enter second year with me in September.

As for averages, to be competitive enough for interviews, the gpa is close to 3.8 for U of T. (no real averages in terms of over 80 %; but just having a 3.7 is a little risky, or so I've heard).

Guest Christopher

Heh, I just have a summer position in the EEG lab at BC Children's Hospital, and I met the guy is all. We work in the same room, in the Brain Mapping Department. He just finished his summer research project yesterday, and has three weeks of nothing to do. He's just a nice guy (although I had to fetch his shoes for him). :)

Guest Akane200

Oh, it seems ken is pretty famous after all. I have to let him know that he's the topic of discussion now. :lol

Many people probably know him because he's a nice guy, and he's pretty active in our class. Other than that, there's nothing very special about him :lol . Luckily, I'm in TO, and he can't hit me for saying that. :b

Guest Ian Wong

Would you all believe that I worked with him back in Victoria 3-4 years ago as a volunteer? :)

Small world eh?

I also spent last week at the pediatric ENT clinic at Children's, which I believe is right next to the EEG lab; at least that's the impression I got from reading the signs. I didn't bump into Ken there, although I knew he was working in Children's somewhere...

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest Ian Wong

? I remember telling him about this website, especially since he applied the year after I did, but I don't think we ever worked together on building this website. Either way, I'm happy that he's happy. :)

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived