Premed 101 Forums

Seeking Advice

I graduated with a Bachelor of Science from University of Waterloo three years ago. I bombed my undergrad like no tomorrow, but I still somehow graduated with a Honors Degree. I spent 5 years in undergrad, and most of it I was lost without direction. Now, I have a lot of regrets because I realized I really do want to go to med school. I don't think there is as much clarity as I am right now.

Now I am now thinking about going back to school to get a second degree and decided to apply as a non-traditional application. I am just seeking some advice, and I really would just appreciate some response.

Thank you in advance.

I graduated with a Bachelor of Science from University of Waterloo three years ago. I bombed my undergrad like no tomorrow, but I still somehow graduated with a Honors Degree. I spent 5 years in undergrad, and most of it I was lost without direction. Now, I have a lot of regrets because I realized I really do want to go to med school. I don't think there is as much clarity as I am right now.

Now I am now thinking about going back to school to get a second degree and decided to apply as a non-traditional application. I am just seeking some advice, and I really would just appreciate some response.

Thank you in advance.

I'm not sure what you're looking for in terms of advice, but yes you're headed in the right direction by doing a second undergrad. But I'm also not sure what a non-traditional application is for undergrad, I thought the application was a standard form.

Anyway, be sure to focus on keeping your GPA up, keeping busy with jobs and ECs (include a decent chunk of medically related experiences) which will help with reference letters and do well on your MCAT. Research and publications are a good idea to aim for as well.

I'm not sure what specific advice you're looking for, but the best advice for non-trads is to become as "traditional" as possible. Do 10 courses per year, Sept-Apr. Try to stay away from ECs and focus on your GPA. Non-trads typically have enough ECs anyways- it's not usually their weakness.

Next- go to the websites of the schools you're interested in and read their admissions info thouroughly. If you post which schools you are interested in (and where you are located) we can give more targeted advice. Be aware that people with poor marks from before can't really afford to be picky about which schools they are willing to go to.

In addition make sure you read the sticky thread at the top on school policies regarding second undergrads.

Can you come back from a poor first undergrad? The short answer is yes, the long answer is it takes careful planning, a ton of work, and even more determination. Even with all of those you need to have the academic capability- if you do a second undergrad you need to have competitive marks and you should do a second degree in something that would be useful to you if medicine doesn't work out.

Like Kyla said, post specifics and we'll be happy to help you out:)

Why not start off by taking a course or two with Distance Learning. I suggest this for the following reasons. You will be testing the waters both in terms of academics and your resolve. There is nobody to encourage you, no classmates, you need discipline and focus. Everything is up to you. It ain't easy but it will test you and demonstrate to yourself just how serious you are.

If you do not do well, time to self-reflect. If you do, begin to think about a program of interest, one that prepares you for a future should you not achieve your goal. I recommend that you return as a fulltime student doing a full course load if possible. Good luck.

Hey Guys!!

Thank you so much for the response. They were all very helpful. I needed to put myself in the right perspective and you all helped me with that. I thank you all.

As some of you mentioned, I do have good EC, but it's the grades that I am lacking. This is a game where GPA is the trump card, and that's the thing I am lacking the most. I know second degree will be my only way. I am up for the challenge.

And Simpy's thread is definitely a good read. Keep the advice coming :P. I think I will have more specific questions as I am delving more into this journey.

Thanks again.

Archived