Premed 101 Forums

Residency hours in family med and emergency?

I'm terribly sorry if this exists already, I did a search and found nothing!

What are the typical -if there is such a thing- hours in residency for family medicine and emergency? I'm very interested in pursuing both. The hours would never be a huge issue for me, and I know that the cut-off is 80 hours a week (or it is in the US, I believe it's the same here?), but I'm just curious what everyone's experiences have been.

Thanks very much to anyone with any experience or knowledge to share :)

Preceptor-dependent, too. At the clinic where I did my core FM rotation, the residents were there 9-4. When I did my 1st year FM exposure at another teaching clinic, the preceptor was a workaholic and would make the resident stay til 8-9 pm every day, same hours as he worked.

I think the 80 hour limit is for the US only. At least I have never been told we have limited hours during residency.

I can't speak for other provinces, but in Quebec the 80 hour limit is written explicitly in the collective agreement.

Still, it is not always respected - notably in surgery.

edit= after verification I cant find the 80hr clause I thought I had seen, but it definitely says there is a 12-hour maximum per day. So if you add a maximum of 1 in 4 call it works out to around 80 hrs max per week.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are wondering about province specific work hour limitations then download all the collective agreements from all the provincial residency unions and read them. This will also illustrate quite clearly the very significant discrepancies that exist between provinces in terms of how they treat/view residents. I think this is important info if you want to maximize your own benefits when choosing a residency program.

From personal experience, as of 2011, there is a 90 hour work week restriction in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and PEI. There is no work hour restriction in Ontario. There is no work hour restriction in B.C.

If I were to go and do the Carms thing again, for a 3rd time, then I'd go back to Nova Scotia. Cheaper cost of living, much better pay, and a vastly superior contract. Especially compared to Ontario..

Archived