Premed 101 Forums

Cégep St-Foy

Hey everybody,

I might get accepted into cégep St-Foy in québec beginning of august. Being in calgary, I was wondering how was the school life? Is there a big difference in the material thought in calgary compared to Québec? How is the workload if I am going into science de la nature? Do you guys know if cégep St-Foy has a stron IFG? I am quite excited and nervous at the same time haha as I have no friends there, and really dont quite know they area. I was born in Québec but lived in calgary for the past 13 years, so cant blame me haha :). Also, if I get accepted, know what the grade cut-off is for the current semester to get accepted? Like do you need to arrive with 80+ grades for your current courses?

Thanks!

Comme vs voulez. :) Fantastic news, fingers crossed. You certainly learned from us very very quickly, made critical decisions in a timely manner moving like lightning and you aere embarking on quite the journey in your own best interests. :P Keep us posted and I am available by PM any time, using the link in my signature.

Comme vs voulez. :) Fantastic news, fingers crossed. You certainly learned from us very very quickly, made critical decisions in a timely manner moving like lightning and you aere embarking on quite the journey in your own best interests. :P Keep us posted and I am available by PM any time, using the link in my signature.

That I sure did, good thing I stumbled on this forum by browsing the internet. Quickly after what you and Robin hood said, I contacted the SRACQ department and made my application the week after. A bit of a lengthy process since I did not study in québec and they needed my last three years worth of report card, but worth it! Il me suffit d'attendre!!!

Be aware that for entry into the French speaking med schools, ECs/volunteering is irrelevant, however, for McGill only this is very important. Top grades in Cegep are essential and the priority but if you want McGill, next you become an active citizen showing, leadership, initiative, compassion, discipline, critical thinking etc be in sports, clubs, volunteering whether organized or not. Robin Hood is expert in requirements for admission to med school and I can help with applications so you continue to have us as your team. :)

Be aware that for entry into the French speaking med schools, ECs/volunteering is irrelevant, however, for McGill on ly thisd is very important. Top grades in Cegep are essential and the priority but if you want McGill, next you become an active citizen showing, leadership, initiative, compassion, discipline, critical thinking etc be in sports, clubs, volunteering whether organized or not. Robin Hood is expert in requirements for admission to med school and I can help with applications so you continue to have us as your team. :)

Ok, gotcha :) . I will make sure to keep you guys in my contact list haha. Also, another question, I just finished biology 30 (which would be the equivalent of cegep first year in quebec) with an 81% average (while the class average is 42.5%). Do you think that this will count towards anything if I get accepted?

You would have to check with Cegep and a med school. Cegep gives you the prerequisites for med school assuming your in health and science. You need to complete the 2 year program in the normal academic year without summers. I would not want you to not take all the prerequities b/c of that course you mention, only to discover the med schools dont understand/accept what you say and give you a rouugh time. Only deviate from the established prerequites if you chcked with med schools before. In other words K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid....if in doubt forget you ever took took that course and have an easier time in Cegep during one semester.

Be aware that for entry into the French speaking med schools, ECs/volunteering is irrelevant, however, for McGill on ly thisd is very important. Top grades in Cegep are essential and the priority but if you want McGill, next you become an active citizen showing, leadership, initiative, compassion, discipline, critical thinking etc be in sports, clubs, volunteering whether organized or not. Robin Hood is expert in requirements for admission to med school and I can help with applications so you continue to have us as your team. :)

I agree with most of what you said but it's not true that EC are irrelevant for french schools -- it is irrelevant for the interview invites but they WILL have 2-3 stations at the interview asking you to describe DIFFERENT things you have done (group leader, projects, teamwork, events that have changed your life...) and if you have no material to talk about during 10 minutes then it's going to look very bad.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to say that I finally got accepted into sciences de la nature at cégep st-foy! I was unsure if I would really get accepted as Iv'e heard that they did not accept a whole lot of *out of province* students. I did my english classing test, got 103? Anyone know what that means? Only thing left to do is choose my phys ed course and pay the fee. Quite excited. To say that a month ago I had no idea this option was given to me hehe :).

I say Congratulations! YAY!! :P

I will keep an eye on you if you let me. ;)

How your life has so dramastically changed!

First bit of advice. Take nothing for granted. You must have an exceedingly strong work ethic from day one with academics as your priority. Do things right and 2 years from now, you will be accepted into medicine. Your profession is now "student" and treat this occupation professionally. Grades are everything.

I goofed off in Cegep and I couldn't even apply, so I got my degree and entered med. We all take different paths. I did not know then what I know now and did not have the requisite maturity.

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to say that I finally got accepted into sciences de la nature at cégep st-foy! I was unsure if I would really get accepted as Iv'e heard that they did not accept a whole lot of *out of province* students. I did my english classing test, got 103? Anyone know what that means? Only thing left to do is choose my phys ed course and pay the fee. Quite excited. To say that a month ago I had no idea this option was given to me hehe :).

Congrats!

I thought the English levels went from 101 to 104? But maybe I'm mistaken... Anyway, all the levels have a LOT of francophone students (I was in the highest level and trust me, there was like one anglophone who just went to English school - she was at the same level as me and many of my friends). But maybe that's because I live in Mauricie, so there's not a whole lot of anglophones over here :)

Frankly, English classes are possibly your ticket to great grades. You normally don't have a lot of work, it's quite easy and there are a lot of people who don't care about the class, so the average is not that great. The same can be said about the PE classes too :)

EDIT: future_doc said it, but I urge you NOT to take for granted that Cégep will be easy. Even if you had great grades in high school, it means NOTHING there :) My class, for example, has about a 90-95% average in high school (I'm in Sciences, Letters and Arts, so we're a stronger group) and some of them only have 25 R Scores, because they procrastinate and goofed up in the first two sessions. The first semester is essential to get a great cote R : it's way harder to up your score after that, trust me :P

Nice, thx for the info guys.

I will make sure to be as studious as possible haha. I will also try and give periodic little updates :). Currently, in high school, I find it pretty interesting. I had to take a whole year off due to me getting sick :( but being back feels great. To get admitted to the cégep, I had to take 3 heavy course (math, chemistry and physics) and english which is pretty uncommon in my school as its surnamed an *overcharged* semester haha. But I am doing what I need to do. Also, knowing that I will nevertheless have a minimum of three science course in the cégep gives me a little insight on what to expect :).

Also, that R score is starting to frighten me. I am going to cégep st-foy and I heard that the IFG there is quite strong there. Lets say I have an average of 88% whle the class average is 80%. Would that penalize me more than with a 70% percent class average with my average being 88%? I dont really understand how the IFG works. I do know that if you have much more than the average its better, but dont think that is quite possible in cégep st-foy where the compition is fierce.

Would anyone like to clarify this a bit?

Thank you!

I say Congratulations! YAY!! :P

I will keep an eye on you if you let me. ;)

How your life has so dramastically changed!

First bit of advice. Take nothing for granted. You must have an exceedingly strong work ethic from day one with academics as your priority. Do things right and 2 years from now, you will be accepted into medicine. Your profession is now "student" and treat this occupation professionally. Grades are everything.

I goofed off in Cegep and I couldn't even apply, so I got my degree and entered med. We all take different paths. I did not know then what I know now and did not have the requisite maturity.

Oh and of course you can follow me :) its great to see someone in a big online community that cares for others xD.

Nice, thx for the info guys.

I will make sure to be as studious as possible haha. I will also try and give periodic little updates :). Currently, in high school, I find it pretty interesting. I had to take a whole year off due to me getting sick :( but being back feels great. To get admitted to the cégep, I had to take 3 heavy course (math, chemistry and physics) and english which is pretty uncommon in my school as its surnamed an *overcharged* semester haha. But I am doing what I need to do. Also, knowing that I will nevertheless have a minimum of three science course in the cégep gives me a little insight on what to expect :).

Also, that R score is starting to frighten me. I am going to cégep st-foy and I heard that the IFG there is quite strong there. Lets say I have an average of 88% whle the class average is 80%. Would that penalize me more than with a 70% percent class average with my average being 88%? I dont really understand how the IFG works. I do know that if you have much more than the average its better, but dont think that is quite possible in cégep st-foy where the compition is fierce.

Would anyone like to clarify this a bit?

Thank you!

My only advice: STOP worrying about the r-score right away. Get the best grades you can get and that's all you can do. You can get accepted into med from any of the CEGEPs (a long time ago I had a really high r-score at Ahuntsic which is usually considered as a "not great" CEGEP). And not getting in right away and having to go to university isn't that bad either, it just means you experience different things before. Good luck!

My only advice: STOP worrying about the r-score right away. Get the best grades you can get and that's all you can do. You can get accepted into med from any of the CEGEPs (a long time ago I had a really high r-score at Ahuntsic which is usually considered as a "not great" CEGEP). And not getting in right away and having to go to university isn't that bad either, it just means you experience different things before. Good luck!

Ok, thx for the info! But It's almost impossible not to question yourself on a whole new grading system your not used to haha ;).

As long as you focus on getting the best grades you can, the R score is not going to penalize you :) I also go to a not-so-great cégep and there are quite a few people with 36 + R scores!

I can explain you how the IFG works : in fact, it's a measure of how strong was your class in high school. So, they take the force of the group in account :) But your R score doesn't depend only on your average and class average. It also depends on the "écart-type", which is a measure of how the grades are dispersed throughout the whole class. As a kind of rule, if you're 1-2 écart-type above the average (1 is more feasible :P), you'll have a great R score as you've shown that you can differentiate yourself from the group!

As long as you focus on getting the best grades you can, the R score is not going to penalize you :) I also go to a not-so-great cégep and there are quite a few people with 36 + R scores!

I can explain you how the IFG works : in fact, it's a measure of how strong was your class in high school. So, they take the force of the group in account :) But your R score doesn't depend only on your average and class average. It also depends on the "écart-type", which is a measure of how the grades are dispersed throughout the whole class. As a kind of rule, if you're 1-2 écart-type above the average (1 is more feasible :P), you'll have a great R score as you've shown that you can differentiate yourself from the group!

Ahhh I see, but how come I keep hearing that going to a strong cégep (strong IFG) is much better than having l'écart-type tant convoité? La disparité entre les deux témoigne de mes doutes. :)....

Thank you for the information!

EDIT: Wooo, I kinda switched to french there haha

As you are both my internet children, lol, cherie is one of the best persons in the Quebec world to mentor you as role model with her wisdom, knowledge and insight. Follow in her footsteps and you will be interviewing @ McGill and the MEMFI.

cherie comes from a region in Quebec where the language is 100% French and yet, she has managed to become fully bilingual. Should you contact me by PM at the SDN link below, I would let you know how to PM her about matters you wish to discuss or want to ask in privacy.

United we stand as a wonderful group helping each other along our paths to our goal of medicine or other health professional.

As you are both my internet children, lol, cherie is one of the best persons in the Quebec world to mentor you as role model with her wisdom, knowledge and insight. Follow in her footsteps and you will be interviewing @ McGill and the MEMFI.

cherie comes from a region in Quebec where the language is 100% French and yet, she has managed to become fully bilingual. Should you contact me by PM at the SDN link below, I would let you know how to PM her about matters you wish to discuss or want to ask in privacy.

United we stand as a wonderful group helping each other along our paths to our goal of medicine or other health professional.

I just sent you a pm on sdn to see if it worked... what is cherie sdn pm? Or would sending a pm on premed101 be easier than sdn?

Thx! :)

Archived