Premed 101 Forums

Here are some general questions, in no particular order of importance:

1. There have been a lot of concerns about the job market in radiation oncology, which might be reflected in the match statistics for this year. How true are these claims, and what is the evidence in Canada for a more optimistic outlook?

2. Are fellowships common among radiation oncologsts, or can one secure a position at a community or academic center without fellowship training?

3. Radiation oncology in the US places a high value on research. In fact, according to Gfunk on SDN, all radiation oncology matches for this year but one have published something. Is the same true for Canada? Is someone without a lot of research experience at a major disadvantage?

4. Given the concerns about the job market, would a recently board-certified radiation oncologist be able to work in the US if they could not find a job in Canada?

5. Another concern I have read about radiation oncology is that the importance of radiation treatment may be less emphasized in the near future secondary to advancements in nanotech drug delivery systems, etc. Would you say there is any truth to this?

6. What's the typical day of a radiation oncologist like? I have done rotations in radiation oncology before, but it was from the perspective of a learner. I want to know what a day is like for an attending.

7. Are radiation oncologists generally happy with their careers?

8. How much autonomy do radiation oncologists possess?

9. Do radiation oncologists have the option of admitting their own patients?

I will think of more later.

I have some more personal questions to ask you, if you would be willing to answer them.

4. Given the concerns about the job market, would a recently board-certified radiation oncologist be able to work in the US if they could not find a job in Canada?

Great questions Fargo - I'm also curious about your question on finding jobs in the states. Given the reports that there are an increasingly high number of unemployed freshly graduated Rad Onc docs in Canada, how hard is it for them to start working in the states post-fellowship? Are there any other barriers aside from passing the American board exams (given how lucrative the job market for Rad onc is down in the states, what is it that prevents the unemployed canadian grads from heading south)? In other words, if the job situation down in the states is so great, is there any red tape preventing newly minted Canadian grads from going down there if they can't find full-time employment here? Thanks!

Great questions Fargo - I'm also curious about your question on finding jobs in the states. Given the reports that there are an increasingly high number of unemployed freshly graduated Rad Onc docs in Canada, how hard is it for them to start working in the states post-fellowship? Are there any other barriers aside from passing the American board exams (given how lucrative the job market for Rad onc is down in the states, what is it that prevents the unemployed canadian grads from heading south)? In other words, if the job situation down in the states is so great, is there any red tape preventing newly minted Canadian grads from going down there if they can't find full-time employment here? Thanks!

yea the red tape is the three usmle steps even if you are us board certified

From what I've been hearing the job market is not so much bad but demands a fellowship. The three seniors at mcgill all have jobs already on agreement that they do a fellowship in the states and come back to montreal. Apparently no one is landing a job without a fellowship (usually in the states).

Its similar situation in rads too. Except with rads you're not bound to saturated urban centers, you can practice rads in the middle of nowhere. So you can get away without a fellowship if you don't care to stay in a saturated area.

And to add to the US work thing. Yes afaik you can work in the states if you're board certified there too. I don't know the intricacies of that at all though. A while ago a lot of Montreal's radoncs would drive down to upstate NY to work there too. Ironically they were seeing their same patients from Mtl.....because there aren't enough machines to treat all the patients that need it. Theres plenty of demand for radoncs but not enough funding to support them.

• 5 months later...
Many states (~35-40) will accept LMCC Parts 1 and 2 in place of USMLE and you will have no problem getting a state medical license from the FSMB.

However, if you want the option of getting a medical license in ANY US state, then you will need USMLE steps 1-3 or a previous medical license from one of the canadian provinces that you can trade.

can you list US states that doesn't accept LMCC?

Many states (~35-40) will accept LMCC Parts 1 and 2 in place of USMLE and you will have no problem getting a state medical license from the FSMB.

However, if you want the option of getting a medical license in ANY US state, then you will need USMLE steps 1-3 or a previous medical license from one of the canadian provinces that you can trade.

I've heard that the issue isn't getting a medical license from a state without writing the USMLEs, but it is obtaining a visa without the USMLEs. I.e., a state will happily accept the LMCCs but you cannot obtain a visa to work in the US without Steps 1-3. Can anyone who's actually been through this process recently comment?

• 1 month later...
I've heard that the issue isn't getting a medical license from a state without writing the USMLEs, but it is obtaining a visa without the USMLEs. I.e., a state will happily accept the LMCCs but you cannot obtain a visa to work in the US without Steps 1-3. Can anyone who's actually been through this process recently comment?

Not all states will accept LMCCs as equivalent. For the most current info, I would check each state's medical board website.

You can obtain a J1 visa without USMLE step 3 but you can't get an H1B visa unless you have completed and passed step 3 (which means you have to have passed steps 1, 2)

Archived