Premed 101 Forums

Religion- Islam

Guest Mariam

Hi there you guys. I'm kind of nervous right now- I've always strived to do my best in highschool- and now i'll be going into the U of A -God willing. Born and raised as a muslim- i love my religion- Islam. However, due to the stereotypes and prejudice out there- especially since the tragedy that occurred on Sept.11 i've been totally stressed out in that if i even have a chance. I know there are many educated people out there and they know the difference between Islam - and the religion the terrorists have made for themselves, however i still believe there are biased people out there. And also- i wear the scarfe- head covering. But i am very dedicated to Medicine and the helping of others. Should i really be concerned??? - some people have given me the advice of removing the head scarfe for the interview to get into med. And this even discourages me more- because they seem to be giving me the idea- that racists do exist.I know its kind of early for me - but its truly bugging me- Am i wasting my time worrying?? or do those friends have mine have a point?? - It would be appreciated if i recieve replies- thanks :D:)

Guest Ian Wong

I wouldn't worry about what you're going to do in your med interviews just yet (you've got at least three years before you reach that point).

As far as dealing with overt discrimination, I think every person on this planet has had to deal with it in one way or another, whether that be due to gender, race, money, social standing, whatever. Learning about how you react to that discrimination, and finding a strong coping mechanism is partially what living, learning from experience, and maturing is all about.

I think that only you can decide what course of action you'll take when your interview day approaches. But you've got three years to decide, and the world won't be the same then as it is today, and neither will you. Don't worry about it. Focus on learning and doing well in university, and meeting cool people and having fun. :)

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Thanks Ian

you're right- it is kind of early to be worrying about that stuff just yet (im sure there's lots of time to stress out in the future) :| but i'd just like to say- its really great that you've created such a interactive website- where we all can get answers- its unique-and works awesome.

thanks for the advice :D

Mariam

Archived