Premed 101 Forums

Listing Awards

Guest almost

Hi,

When listing awards/scholarships on an application to Med School, is it appropraite to include the size of the award? ie. $15 000, or $1000? or does this just look silly?

Thanks.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

There is one case where it is important to list the value of the award/scholarship/grant and that is if you may be filling out an application to an MD/PhD program. In that case, the PhD folks certainly would like to know if you have current financial backing and to what degree.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest RAK2005

I did list the award values for my application, and it was a topic of discussion brought up in my interview... I think people do not think it is arrogant to list the value, especially when not everyone (i.e. community members) will know one scholarship from another. Flaunt your achievements...

Hi Strider,

Actually, the President's Scholarship at UBC is of minor value compared to a lot of others. There are more inconspicuous ones that are worth more like the Brock, the Mt. Pleasant, etc. So names alone aren't necessarily enough, I'd say.

Guest strider2004

What's the UBC scholarship that's worth $26,000? Chancellor's scholarship? The President's Scholarship at UWO is the highest ranking one there with about 6 people getting it every year.

What I ought to say is that it's better to describe how you got the award rather than how the award is valued.

Guest Ian Wong

Personally, I'd put in the dollar amount. Money signs are a pretty good indicator of the quality/rarity of the scholarship, and make it easy to quantify your achievement. I suppose this could work the other way and "devalue" your scholarship and the work needed to achieve it if it was for an extremely small amount.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived