Premed 101 Forums

Basic Science Prerequisites

Premeddie12

Hey everyone,

There have been a lot of threads asking about science prequisites, and although I have read all of them, I would just like to clarify a couple of things.

1. Does McGill look at CEGEP r-scores for the basic sciences even if you have an undergrad in science?

2. I didn't do well in my science pre-reqs (~60s/70s). Is there is anything that I can do about my pre-reqs? Is there a way for me to re-take the courses?

Any advice would be much appreciated!!

I recently got in to McGill this cycle and just so you know my r-score from CEGEP was 31.xxx. I had a couple of 60/70s in some sci-prereq (such as phys/cal2/linear), but my bios / chems were in 80s/90s. However i did have a 3.99 GPA from McGill so worst case just do really well in your undergrad and I'm sure they will disregard your sci-preq unless you failed/did really badly in all of them (but then again if you prove you can handle the course load in your undergrad and do really well I'm sure its a moot point).

Thanks DZ_370z and congrats on getting in this cycle.

Mine is the opposite, I did extremely well in all the math courses but they are not counted as pre-reqs, so the ones McGill actually looks at are not well done.

Robin Hood, where can I re-take them? If I take the MCAT, would they disregard my pre-reqs?

Thanks DZ_370z and congrats on getting in this cycle.

Mine is the opposite, I did extremely well in all the math courses but they are not counted as pre-reqs, so the ones McGill actually looks at are not well done.

Robin Hood, where can I re-take them? If I take the MCAT, would they disregard my pre-reqs?

You can take them a UdeM and Concordia (but it will be hard getting bio there). Yes, doing the MCAT will replace the basic science GPA.

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry what does it mean that it will be hard getting bio at concordia? Do classes fill up fast?

Or are concordia's bio classes hard in general? If you were to take pre-reqs in english would you take them at concordia, mcgill, U de M, anywhere else?

Thank you!

What I mean is that the basic bio courses are reserved or the priority is given to students who need them as a requirement I think.

Is it easy to get the chemistrys and physics at concordia?

Also some of my prereqs are possibly expiring (from when I was in first year) by the time I apply, does anyone know if I should work on repeating those? Is there an easy way to contact mcgill and find out? I have heard from some members in the forum that their prereqs were reallly old and they got in.

Thank you for the help.

Is it easy to get the chemistrys and physics at concordia?

Also some of my prereqs are possibly expiring (from when I was in first year) by the time I apply, does anyone know if I should work on repeating those? Is there an easy way to contact mcgill and find out? I have heard from some members in the forum that their prereqs were reallly old and they got in.

Thank you for the help.

No problem for Physics and Chemistry. As for expiration, if you have updated your knowledge (maybe a poor translation from French) in the fields, you may not have to repeat your prereqs. But it will be better to contact McGill and Michel Dansereau directly, it's always better to hear from the mouth of the horse.

Is it 100% sure that MCATs replace prereqs?

What if it's been over 8 years since you've done prereqs (I'm in graduate school, so I've done Bio/Chem but not physics since CEGEP), does MCAT count as well or does anyone know if I will have to redo the prereqs anyway?

Many thanks!

Is it 100% sure that MCATs replace prereqs?

What if it's been over 8 years since you've done prereqs (I'm in graduate school, so I've done Bio/Chem but not physics since CEGEP), does MCAT count as well or does anyone know if I will have to redo the prereqs anyway?

Many thanks!

I don't think the MCT will replace expired prereqs, but it will be better to directly ask them.

Hi,

This isn't specifically for pre-reqs, I am trying to do my pre-reqs in class, but does anyone know for mcgill when they assess your file, if you have been full time in classes, however 1 class was delivered online ? I actually attended most of the lectures but signed up online to have access to the notes (because I travel alot for work in case I missed lectures) and exams were administered at the university, does that count as a distance class? Will mcgill be able to tell that it's online and that whole year doesn't count? I didn't realize until I already started my courses that mcgill doesn't assess online courses.

Thank you!

has anyone taken them at mcgill? Ive done my underdrad and I'm presently in my grad studies thinking of retaking them to boost my ScGPA...... and also cuz they're technically expiring right after I finish grad studies ( and thus if i don't get in after my masters and want to apply most will be done!)

And does anyone know how to get an appointment with aedmed?

Archived