Premed 101 Forums

wondering.....

Guest sachy

Hi im a 20 year old student in my third year of undergrad. I am working towards a biology degree, but will not finish it until next year. I have recently met the requirements for my MCAT, and have about an 84% 2 yeard combined average. I am applying to the u of s med school this year, and hope to be in next fall. The number of applicants are very low at u of s (in province applicants, that is); last year there was something like 70 applicants, for 55 spots. So basically, from what i hear, with a decent average, and meeting the standards for your mcat, and being in province, you are basically in. My average is a bit low, but reading the stats (i know things can change, and they can be decieving) the mean for the applications was around 86, and the mean range was b/w 82-86.....so i feel that i have a somewhat competitive average. I was planning on taking another full load this year, in hopes of increasing my average, but it does not seem like it is going to happen, and if it does, it will increase it very little. Now i am contemplating taking the second semester off so that i can work, volunteer, and travel. I feel that more than my average, the thing that hurts me the most is my lack of life experience. I have minimal work experience. I do have hours of volunteer work, but nothing in the hospital setting. This is something i wish to do for myself, more than for getting into med school. What does everyone think about taking a semester off??Do u think the interview panel will look down on it? Would they even care??

any feedback would be appreciated.

Guest Ian Wong

If you're doing it for yourself, it sounds like a wonderful opportunity. Go out there and have some fun! As long as you demonstrate that you can handle the curriculum, and that your transcript is in line, I don't foresee any problems, and I don't think an admissions committee would hold it against you for wanting to take some time for yourself and travel, work, etc.

I would check the U of S website, and just see how they deal with students who aren't necessarily taking a full courseload each year. When you return, my suggestion would be to continue taking a full course load each semester.

Another option might be finishing out third year and then taking the summer off to do the things you've mentioned above. That might be easier in terms of completing all your courses if there are courses in fourth year that need spring semester third year pre-reqs that you might otherwise miss by travelling.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived