Premed 101 Forums

lab research...how important is it?

Guest john r

I'm a first year student in arts (get this...Classics and Middle Eastern Studies). I'm also taking the necessary pre-reqs for most, if not all Canadian medical schools. I'm very happy with my two majors, but I do have one concern about my choice of degree. I have a feeling I will be passed over for lab research opportunities because I spend class time working on Arabic syntax and Greek history rather than protein structures and stereochemistry. I'll try nonetheless, but I think it'll be hard to get any researcher, let alone the hardcore biochemistry types, to take me seriously!

However, I have a lot of other stuff to offer - varsity team member, working in a shelter for homeless, literacy tutoring, volunteer work in a hospital (and I'm lucky - I spend a lot of time with patients!)

My question is: is research experience a "must have" on an application?

Thanks,

John R.

Hi there,

Research can be important because it shows that you are a self-directed learner, you're showing interest outside of class, etc...That being said, you don't necessarily need to do it in a core science (e.g.biochem) I majored in Cell Bio and Genetics but couldn't stand to work in a lab like that. Instead, I got involved in a psychology lab from second year on, a subject that I was really interested in. This allowed me to eventually develop my own project, help out on others and gain experiences I wouldn't necessarily get in other places, not to mention some great friends. Is there any research going on in your department, that might be an option. Does any one else have an opinion on this?

Guest research

don't do lab work unless you have an interest. if you are doing it just to pad your application it will become obvious to your supervisor, and even worse the ad coms. spend your time doing other activities that show independence, ability for self directed learning and initiative. research is not the be all and end all to getting into medical school...

Archived