Premed 101 Forums

Financing ubc med

Government bursaries are granted based on amount of unmet need left over from your BC and Canada student loans. I've seen people get anywhere from a few thousand to over 10K per year. There are numerous smaller scholarships that you can qualify for funded privately and through UBC, most based on leadership and demonstrated need. In 3rd year everyone gets paid just over $400/month. Distributed sites also get travel funding to relocate. Embrace the debt, everyone has a LOC, the ones who don't are the ones who lied on their student loan applications.

Thanks for the reply!!

Oh i am totally ready to embrace the debt.. Thing is I have a family and actually will need all of the bank loc or more. 50k / year isnt that much with 2 kids!!

Glad to hear about the 400/month stipend in 3rd year plus attainable bursaries!!

Any other suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

the third year stipend is actually not that great - for most of us it prevented us from getting bursaries which, in other years, were in the high thousands.

RBC, at least, will give you a $250,000 line of credit.

There are people with families at UBC - when you are accepted, it might be wise to see if the admin will put you in touch with some of them and you can ask questions around their budgeting decisions. As I recall, there was even a med students with families night or group or something like that.

Has anyone received an entrance scholarship when they entered med school? Or in subsequent years? UBC Med School website stated this:

"Most awards and scholarships at UBC, with the exception of Affiliation Scholarships, do not require student application. The Faculty of Medicine automatically recommends students for medical scholarships and awards based on academic standing and other qualities."

If you did receive one, what was your GPA and "other qualities"?

Archived