Premed 101 Forums

Med School with a LD

Hey guys,

I had a bad first term of University. I got diagnosed with a learning disability (LD) and have received accommodations with my exams/midterms/tests. My accommodations are extra time (+30 mins per hour) and small room (I write alone or with no more than 5 other people). My LD doesn't affect assignments (inclass or otherwise), homework, etc. It's purely for exams/tests.

I have been in contact with AAMC about the MCAT and my accommodations would be available if I so wished (by applying for them).

My question to you guys is whether or not you think a learning disability might hold me back, application-wise. They would obviously not say it directly anywhere that it would affect me negatively...but I was wondering from your experiences, people you know, etc, if it would impact me.

I'm scared to request my accommodations I need/deserve for the MCAT and medical school in case it affects me negatively.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and respond.

Hey guys,

I had a bad first term of University. I got diagnosed with a learning disability (LD) and have received accommodations with my exams/midterms/tests. My accommodations are extra time (+30 mins per hour) and small room (I write alone or with no more than 5 other people). My LD doesn't affect assignments (inclass or otherwise), homework, etc. It's purely for exams/tests.

I have been in contact with AAMC about the MCAT and my accommodations would be available if I so wished (by applying for them).

My question to you guys is whether or not you think a learning disability might hold me back, application-wise. They would obviously not say it directly anywhere that it would affect me negatively...but I was wondering from your experiences, people you know, etc, if it would impact me.

I'm scared to request my accommodations I need/deserve for the MCAT and medical school in case it affects me negatively.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and respond.

If you can still support the med school coursework (even with accomodations), then I don't see why will they reject you. Your accomodations are not hard to make. Now if it was something like blindness (very hard and costy to accomodate) or Asperger's Syndrome, then it could automatically read to a rejection once they see your disability.

Requesting accommodations for MCAT is common sense and will not affect you negatively.

However, you must have these assommodations locked in for the date and place where you write long in advance. I know of cases where the MCAT franchisee never came through as was expected and the person had to write without accommodation. The devil is in the details and nobody really cares except you.

Archived