Premed 101 Forums

MCAT prep course? Common for non trads

Hi,

I know this has been asked alot, and often depends on the study habits of the person. For those people that are working full time, mcat prep courses schedules seem to take up alot of time, did those who worked full time find it better to take a prep course or found studying on their own beneficial?

Are there any prep courses you guys would suggest? Prep101? Princeton?

Also if anyone needs anyone to study some time I'm in the Toronto area

Thank you

Hi,

I know this has been asked alot, and often depends on the study habits of the person. For those people that are working full time, mcat prep courses schedules seem to take up alot of time, did those who worked full time find it better to take a prep course or found studying on their own beneficial?

Thank you

I was not working fulltime, but I was a PhD student fulltime when I was studying for the MCAT. I used examkrackers (and that was it) to teach it to myself. I don't really benefit from structure, but rather benefit from pressure. Then again, I did write the MCAT twice. I think the best practice were to do the official MCATs. My performance on those practice tests was very representative of my score in the end.

Hi,

Thank you

I think in cases such as yours, prep courses would be a waste of time... studying on your own would be more effective.

In terms of material to use for studying, it really depends on your background. If you have are not from a science background, Princeton is very thorough and great for people who are not familiar with the concepts originally. If you are from a science background, combination of examkrackers + Kaplan (goes over concepts without too much detail, good general overview) tends to work well for people. Check my blog for further information, I would write more but everything I say has generally been written on my blog already.

Archived