Premed 101 Forums

Anyone heard from Atlantic Bridge recently?

Just wondering if anyone has heard from ABP or any of the Ireland schools lately? I know first offers are out (or interviews at least). Or does anyone know what the timeline is, Ive had an interview for my IP school but havent heard from AB yet....hmm

If you got an interview to a canadian school, then why are you applying overseas and ruining your chances of ever practicing in Canada?

If you got an interview to a canadian school, then why are you applying overseas and ruining your chances of ever practicing in Canada?

I think that is a bit of an exaggeration. The majority of those who graduate from Irish schools make it back to a NA residency.

I think that is a bit of an exaggeration. The majority of those who graduate from Irish schools make it back to a NA residency.

But you have better chances at a Canadian/US school. In Canada, in most provinces, IMGs only have few spots 9and with ROS). In the US, chances of matching are decreasing.

According to [a doctor who studied in and still has contacts in Ireland] in Guelph, Ontario all 10 graduating Canadian students from University College Cork matched in either Canada or USA last year in the 2011 match. At least one without a return of inservice contract in Manitoba. He did not know exactly how many were in Canada and USA, how many only matched in USA after failing to match in Canada, or how many got their first choice of specialty.

He himself graduated a while ago in Ireland so things are different now for international medical school graduates. However, he was able to match in Canada in ENT. He said that obtaining a North American residency is not really a worry for Canadians in Ireland. The worry is getting a residency in competitive specialties. He had a general feeling that Irish graduates are considered very highly of because their standard of education is very high, certainly just as high as in Canada.

At the same time there is something you should know about Irish medical schools. Right now they are trying to accept exceptional applicants from Canada and give them a 3-week deadline to make a large deposit or lose their acceptance. They do this with the hope that these applicants will get in at home allowing the school to pocket the deposit. You are actually lucky not to have been accepted yet, and hopefully you won't be before May 15th!

For those of you who have paid the deposit in Ireland and get accepted in Canada, maybe wait until at least May a bit before informing the Irish school that you won't be attending, eh? ;)

Edit: I removed the doctor's name. I don't really want people googling him and ending up here. I could give you his name if you private message me. I'm sure he would be glad to speak with you over in person or over the phone to discuss studying medicine in Ireland. He did this for me and was very helpful.

oh nice, well kinda. Still no offer or interview request so that would mean I wasnt in the first round which is a bummer. In the meantime I did get accepted to grad school for an M.Sc. and they want me to accept or reject in the next two weeks. What do you guys think?

Bail on the M.Sc and wait and see if med works out (huge risk!) or go and do the msc, take the two years and hopefully get some good research experience and make my application for canadian schools a little better!?

yikessss tough call

anyone with experience with grad school/med/ireland schools have any input??

*should mention I just got my rejec from the IP school I interviewed for so if med were to happen it would have to be through Ireland for this year! ........

Thank you for the info alxdude. I have heard many good things about UCC and am excited for it.

mcintosh,

That is a huge dilemma and I have no idea what I would choose. Its a gamble either way. Keep in mind that many offers from Ireland are still to come but you can't be certain that you would get it. If your GPA is 3.5+ and MCAT 30+ you have a good chance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
According to [a doctor who studied in and still has contacts in Ireland] in Guelph, Ontario all 10 graduating Canadian students from University College Cork matched in either Canada or USA last year in the 2011 match. At least one without a return of inservice contract in Manitoba. He did not know exactly how many were in Canada and USA, how many only matched in USA after failing to match in Canada, or how many got their first choice of specialty.

He himself graduated a while ago in Ireland so things are different now for international medical school graduates. However, he was able to match in Canada in ENT. He said that obtaining a North American residency is not really a worry for Canadians in Ireland. The worry is getting a residency in competitive specialties. He had a general feeling that Irish graduates are considered very highly of because their standard of education is very high, certainly just as high as in Canada.

At the same time there is something you should know about Irish medical schools. Right now they are trying to accept exceptional applicants from Canada and give them a 3-week deadline to make a large deposit or lose their acceptance. They do this with the hope that these applicants will get in at home allowing the school to pocket the deposit. You are actually lucky not to have been accepted yet, and hopefully you won't be before May 15th!

For those of you who have paid the deposit in Ireland and get accepted in Canada, maybe wait until at least May a bit before informing the Irish school that you won't be attending, eh? ;)

Edit: I removed the doctor's name. I don't really want people googling him and ending up here. I could give you his name if you private message me. I'm sure he would be glad to speak with you over in person or over the phone to discuss studying medicine in Ireland. He did this for me and was very helpful.

I do not know how to leave you my contact infor. I really looking for someone who knows Ireland medical school。 thanks !

• 4 weeks later...

I got an interview invitation from UofLimerick yesterday. Just wondering if anyone knows if this is first or second round interview invitations? Also, for the other schools, when do first/second round invites usually go out? Are first rounds done already? I'm not sure where to find this info so any help is appreciated! Thanks!

I got an interview invitation from UofLimerick yesterday. Just wondering if anyone knows if this is first or second round interview invitations? Also, for the other schools, when do first/second round invites usually go out? Are first rounds done already? I'm not sure where to find this info so any help is appreciated! Thanks!

RCSI first round is done. Check out student doctor network's UK/Ireland forum for more info: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=142

Archived