Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Summer Courses + Full Course Load


Tags

Recommended Posts

So I was wondering what the effect that taking summer courses will have on my gpa. I'm taking a couple of random prereqs in my third summer, but am still taking a full course load my fourth year.

 

How do the med schools take these into account?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm quite sure that UoT, Western, and McMaster not truedo not count summer courses towards your GPA. I think for most medical schools the only thing summer courses can count towards are course requirements.

 

Sorry, But I think Mcmaster does count summer courses towards your GPA and so does Queens.

 

Depends on the school. Mostly I think that they don't count for your GPA or course load. That's what it is at UWO anyway.

 

Ellorie is right ....

 

Mcmaster: Counts ALL summer courses in GPA

Queens: Counts ALL summer courses in GPA

UofT: DOES NOT Count ANY summer courses in GPA

Ottawa: DOES NOT Count ANY summer courses in GPA

Western: DOES NOT Count ANY summer courses in GPA

 

I hope this helps :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry, But I think Mcmaster does count summer courses towards your GPA and so does Queens.

 

 

 

Ellorie is right ....

 

Mcmaster: Counts ALL summer courses in GPA

Queens: Counts ALL summer courses in GPA

UofT: DOES NOT Count ANY summer courses in GPA

Ottawa: DOES NOT Count ANY summer courses in GPA

Western: DOES NOT Count ANY summer courses in GPA

 

I hope this helps :)

It does if you're making up credits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mcmaster: Counts ALL summer courses in GPA

Queens: Counts ALL summer courses in GPA

UofT: DOES NOT Count ANY summer courses in GPA

Ottawa: DOES NOT Count ANY summer courses in GPA

Western: DOES NOT Count ANY summer courses in GPA

 

Thanks a lot, it's much appreciated!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you're taking these courses in the summer though, does that mean you're doing more than a full course load?

 

You have to do full course load correct?

Summer school courses do not count as full courseload EXCEPT Ottawa Med which will allow it as long as you take more than 80% of the full courseload in the FW term and make up for the other 20% in the summer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry I don't quite understand what you meant.

 

I meant, if you were to take these courses in the summer - wouldn't they be on top of a full course load you had to take during the fall/winter semester?

 

Basically, you would have to take more courses overall than someone who took the course during a non-summer semester.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry I don't quite understand what you meant.

 

I meant, if you were to take these courses in the summer - wouldn't they be on top of a full course load you had to take during the fall/winter semester?

 

Basically, you would have to take more courses overall than someone who took the course during a non-summer semester.

 

on a similiar note (if I understood correctly), what happens if you take full course load every year + 12-15 credits over the first 2 summers of university; would you still have to take 30 credits in your last year to maintain FCL status or can you take the last semester off since you've accumulated 15 credits over the summer?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...