Premed 101 Forums

Interim Stats

Hey so my friend who applied and didn't get an interview got her follow-up letter today and here are the stats for interviewed applicants. I'm not sure if these are for all applicant pools or only the 4yr IP pool which she was a part of:

Ave cGPA: 3.83

Ave MCAT: 10.64

Ave MCAT WS: P

Ave Activities: 7

I don't live in Alberta, but I am glad to see that the average number of activities amongst applicants is only 7. Many of the serious applicants I see applying tend to have many more than that (15 - 25).

Quite a high GPA as well. I am in my second year holding on to a 3.85 right now and there is still so much room for mistakes. :(

I don't live in Alberta, but I am glad to see that the average number of activities amongst applicants is only 7. Many of the serious applicants I see applying tend to have many more than that (15 - 25).

Quite a high GPA as well. I am in my second year holding on to a 3.85 right now and there is still so much room for mistakes. :(

Im pretty sure that is an extracurricular score, not the raw number of activities.

7/14 in that section just means you were given a purely average score (50th percentile).

Im pretty sure that is an extracurricular score, not the raw number of activities.

7/14 in that section just means you were given a purely average score (50th percentile).

it isn't 7 out of 14 but out of 23 (or 25, as it was in the past?). From speaking with others who have applied and been rejected pre- or post-interview, it is extremely unusual to get into the double digits for the extracurricular score.

it is extremely unusual to get into the double digits for the extracurricular score.

They do this so that people with "extraordinary" ECs have their activities carry a large weight in their application. For instance, I would imagine that a Rhodes Scholar applicant would probably get a score closer to 23. Most applicant who get the interview however have scores in the high single digits and maybe low double digits if I'm not mistaken.

They do this so that people with "extraordinary" ECs have their activities carry a large weight in their application. For instance, I would imagine that a Rhodes Scholar applicant would probably get a score closer to 23. Most applicant who get the interview however have scores in the high single digits and maybe low double digits if I'm not mistaken.

I would have to go and get a few letters out of my files, but over the last couple years, I don't believe anyone has approached 20, and I know there have been Rhodes Scholars who have applied...

My score was 9+ and I got in right away, no waitlist - and my score was above admitted average back in '09.

Total speculation. Why would a Rhodes scholar get a higher score when their academic achievements have already been taken into account in their GPA calculation and masters +1 or PhD +3?

In 2010 (paralyzers) the highest was 14.88, the average was 8.61. U of A has always had a low and narrow distribution. Why this is and what it takes to score high is a matter of debate. It is definitely not simply the number of activities (sorry Lunasy) and the only people who know for sure don't regularly post on this board.

For sure, all we can do is speculate. Rhodes Scholar probably wasn't the best example to pull out of thin air, but it seems that the UofA allots a maximum of 23 for ECs while the max is usually much lower (14.88 for the 2014 class) to leave some buffer room. Perhaps an Olympic athlete might score over 14.88? :cool:

Got my OOP letter today. I was so close :( . Note to future OOP applicants - MCAT is clearly weighted the most:

Measure: Max, Average Offered Interview, (Mine for interest sake)

cGPA: 4.00, 3.98, (3.96)

MCAT: 14, 11.68, (11)

Personal Activities: 13, 8, (9)

Props to whoever is out there with the 42 MCAT. Thats awesome!

Got my OOP letter today. I was so close :( . Note to future OOP applicants - MCAT is clearly weighted the most:

Measure: Max, Average Offered Interview, (Mine for interest sake)

cGPA: 4.00, 3.98, (3.96)

MCAT: 14, 11.68, (11)

Personal Activities: 13, 8, (9)

Props to whoever is out there with the 42 MCAT. Thats awesome!

Hey North12, what was the average for the writing sample? Q or R?

• 1 year later...
I was wondering if anyone had the stats similar to this thread for the 2012/2013 year and wouldn't mind sharing them. It would be nice to know what the averages were for each of the applicant pools. Thanks so much!

I am also curious to know about the stats for invited applicants.

I am OOP who interviewed, and I heard that the average GPA, MCATs and ECs scores for OOP this year are very similar to those of last year.

So for OOP interviewed,

Avg GPA: about 3.99

Avg MCAT: about 35Q

ECs: Not sure.

It would be great someone can verify. I think those who receive regrets pre-interview are informed of these statistics.

Archived