Premed 101 Forums

Best Aussie med schools?

I'm strongly considering Australia as my back up to medical school because:

1) Having a husband and child who are Australian Permanent residents (they are NZ citizens) automatically qualifies me for permanent residency (and domestic tuition as well as ability to work/do residency there after graduation).

2) I really want to do family medicine and have heard I can come back to Canada to practice without redoing residency.

3) If I get domestic rates (some schools you can apply as an international and switch to domestic, not all though) it might be really cheap (approx $9-10K/year).

Anyway, I'm having a hard time finding out about what the "best" Australian med schools are. Does any one know where I can find out about best reputation, best program (I like PBL), best CaRMs match rates (in case I do decide to come back to Canada) etc?

Any advice/links to other forums that discuss this would be much appreciated!

1) Having a husband and child who are Australian Permanent residents (they are NZ citizens) automatically qualifies me for permanent residency (and domestic tuition as well as ability to work/do residency there after graduation).

2) I really want to do family medicine and have heard I can come back to Canada to practice without redoing residency.

3) If I get domestic rates (some schools you can apply as an international and switch to domestic, not all though) it might be really cheap (approx $9-10K/year).

Anyway, I'm having a hard time finding out about what the "best" Australian med schools are. Does any one know where I can find out about best reputation, best program (I like PBL), best CaRMs match rates (in case I do decide to come back to Canada) etc?

Yes, FM in Oz is recognized by the CFPC.

Theres no such thing as "best" Australian med school. They are all strictly regulated and are the same in the end. What you want to do is look at the slight differences in the programs and chose what appeals to you.

If you like PBL style, I suggest UQ if your going into 4yr program.

If you dont have an undergrad degree, you can apply to UWS 5 year program in Sydney. They also have PBL style of teaching. First 2 years are basic sciences and PBL, and last 3 years are clinical rotations. I will be going here next year.

Thanks for the replies. So it seems that Aussie med schools are more like Canadian ones - no "best"? It's just so hard to find any kinds of stats regarding Oz schools. Any idea what their acceptance rates are? Average MCAT/GPAs? None of the schools seem to post these unlike Canadian ones. I want to serif I'd even have a shot at them based on my stats.

Currently ANU seems like a great option for me since I can apply as an international and switch to domestic (making it much cheaper). The only prob is that it is in Canberra (boring - I lived in Brisbane and Sydney in the past and liked both). But I guess that shouldnt be a big deal.

Thanks for the replies. So it seems that Aussie med schools are more like Canadian ones - no "best"? It's just so hard to find any kinds of stats regarding Oz schools. Any idea what their acceptance rates are? Average MCAT/GPAs? None of the schools seem to post these unlike Canadian ones. I want to serif I'd even have a shot at them based on my stats.

Currently ANU seems like a great option for me since I can apply as an international and switch to domestic (making it much cheaper). The only prob is that it is in Canberra (boring - I lived in Brisbane and Sydney in the past and liked both). But I guess that shouldnt be a big deal.

In order to switch over to a domestic spot most schools will let you if there is an available spot.

If you get permanent residency during school you will automatically lose your international spot in the course, and if there's no domestic spot available you cannot continue the course. Its a bit risky, its best to email the admissions office and ask before you dive in.

Hm. This is what the admIn at ANU wrote:

You may apply as an international applicant and if your status changes, your place will be converted to a domestic place.

I took that to mean that my International spot would turn into a domestic, not that I would have to see if a domestic spot would be available. I might contact them to make sure. Thanks

like Canadian schools, Australian schools are more or less on similar academic standards (not like the US, where the differing schools present a much larger range with regards to reputation/rigor/instruction).

However if you insist on pursuing alleged prestige then Melbourne, ANU, Sydney, Queensland and Adelaide are the big names (THE & QS would rank them in that order).

I believe all are PBL which (in my opinion) is a much better learning strategy than traditional lecture-based.

If you'd get classified as domestic then Queensland would give you excellent support for matching back directly to Canada (they have the most Canadians). {as an international student Queensland would be fairly problematic as you'd be putting your Australian internship prospects at higher risk than the other schools}.

Melbourne would give you more opportunities for research in their final year than any other school (very helpful for matching) and you would graduate with an MD (all the other schools grant MBBS variations). However you could get a Commonwealth Supported Spot or a Full-Fee-Spot. You'd want the former and not the latter.

ANU is the equivalent of uOttawa which could be what you're looking for if you want to be next to the capital.

Then you have the issue of which city do you want to live in.

The status for switching from international to domestic differs depending on school. You'd have to check individually. Some will allow it, some may not.

Check PagingDr which is the Oz equivalent of premed101

like Canadian schools, Australian schools are more or less on similar academic standards (not like the US, where the differing schools present a much larger range with regards to reputation/rigor/instruction).

However if you insist on pursuing alleged prestige then Melbourne, ANU, Sydney, Queensland and Adelaide are the big names (THE & QS would rank them in that order).

I believe all are PBL which (in my opinion) is a much better learning strategy than traditional lecture-based.

If you'd get classified as domestic then Queensland would give you excellent support for matching back directly to Canada (they have the most Canadians). {as an international student Queensland would be fairly problematic as you'd be putting your Australian internship prospects at higher risk than the other schools}.

Melbourne would give you more opportunities for research in their final year than any other school (very helpful for matching) and you would graduate with an MD (all the other schools grant MBBS variations). However you could get a Commonwealth Supported Spot or a Full-Fee-Spot. You'd want the former and not the latter.

ANU is the equivalent of uOttawa which could be what you're looking for if you want to be next to the capital.

Then you have the issue of which city do you want to live in.

The status for switching from international to domestic differs depending on school. You'd have to check individually. Some will allow it, some may not.

Check PagingDr which is the Oz equivalent of premed101

Ok I just wanted to add that MBBS/MB/MBChB/BMBS are identical to the North American MD. They are all equivalent.

The Australian MD you speak of is a research degree (like a masters) is not the same as the North American MD.

You will not be at any disadvantage if you have an MBBS.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived