Premed 101 Forums

If given multiple acceptances, which school is best for competitive residencies?

Let's say a premed is accepted to multiple schools.

What would be the best schools to go to if the premed wanted to get into ROAD/PRS/ENT or any other competitive specialty?

I kind of have a bit of an idea, but could anyone finish the list?

GOOD: U of T, UBC, McGill

BAD: Saskatchewan, NOSM, Manitoba, Western?

P.S., proud future-PRS gunner here.

What would be the best schools to go to if the premed wanted to get into ROAD/PRS/ENT or any other competitive specialty?

What school you go to doesn't matter at all. What matters is how productive you are in medical school, and how competitive you can make yourself for one of these programs. Even if you're an excellent PRS candidate, there's still a good chance of going unmatched.

Mac had >20 unmatched this year; almost all applying to competitive specialties. I will leave it to you to place them in the appropriate category.

I had a feling tht Mac was gonna be a bad one. A rep for lax academic requirements coupled with a 3 year program that gives you less time to get your **** togethre sounds like a receipe for failure.

To the guys dsaying that 'all schools = equal,' you are wrong, please don't spread that false info. thanks.

If the below is any indication, OP may be a troll :eek: :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zabooomafooo

Hey guys,

I am really worried about getting into meds. Here's my situation. I have a 4.0 GPA in my first 2 years. This year is prob gonna be the same.

Problem is that my MCAT isn't great. 12/9/O/12

My ECs also suck ass. I volunteered at the hospital and worked in a clinic but thats it. Also part of an athletic club.

So lets look at the schools I can apply to.

No english credit = UBC, Alberta, MUN are out

Low VR = Western, Queens out

Low MCAT = Manitoba out

Low ECs = Ottawa out for sure, U of T, Dal, Calgary probably out

That leaves Mac (hardest school to get into) and Saskatchewan.

WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE!!!!!! HELP!!!

-Today

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zabooomafooo

Thanks. I haven't actually written my MCAT yet. My practice tests are in the 35-40 range. What would be the minimum "converted" MCAT score (out of 14.8) that could I get away with to be interviewed?

I noticed that the MINIMUM was 11.5 on their statistic document. But these people probably had some rural/research. The average was 12.3. Could I get away with a 12.0?

My GPA would be 4.5 out of 4.5.

-March 23rd, 2012.

...what?

Lets agree that each school has their individual merits and deficiencies. Ultimately it is up to the individual to choose a school best suited for them and to prepare for the specialty that they want.

Also lets stop feeding the trolls on this forum. Let them troll away in their own world guarding bridges and keeping fair maidens confined in ivory towers.

This is what you need to do to be a successful gunner:

1. Either get an interview or find some other excuse to attend interview weekends at every single med school in Canada.

2. Talk to everyone at the interview and take note of the ones that are gunning for the same specialty as you.

3. Kill all of the people in the aforementioned group.

4. Great success!

don't judge a guitar by the bands that represent them, I would take a PRS over fender any day

They're both good brands, which one you should get just depends on what tone you want. Also PRSs are insanely expensive while Fenders are just mildly so, especially if you can find a cheap deal like the one I'm considering taking.

Also I guess the feeling and weight is important to some people but I'd assume you'd get used to that eventually.

Archived