Premed 101 Forums

My situation..

My situation really sucks but I want an honest opinion.

I am twenty-seven years old.

First, I am a semester away from getting my BA (Three year). Part of the courses involved for this BA are back from 2005. About 1.5 of the 3yrs my marks are quite poor and had several failures. If do well in my last semester though for the second half of this bachelor I'll have 3.7/3.8. I have had anxiety issues due to a really messed up past and have documentation but don't really want to use that as an excuse. I've always been interested in medicine though and particularly FM and Psychiatry.

Aside from doing some volunteering, in a hospital, coaching soccer, I don't really have many extra curriculars.

It seems obvious that a second degree would be in order to have any shot, I'm curious though if any courses can be used from the 3yr BA..and frankly I obviously wouldn't want to use more then a year or year and a half.

So how much of the 2nd degree would I have to do to have a shot at some med schools?

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

It might be smart to consider doing a fourth year. Does your program offer it? Or could you take an extra, non-degree year? (Talk to the academic advising office).

Once you have completed that, take a look at your GPA using the different schools' weighting formulas and see where you sit. I would go that route before considering a second degree. If you can get two years of solid GPA, Western and Queens will only look at those years. See where you sit with UofT's weighting applied (assuming you've taken a full course load each year).

Think about writing the MCAT soon as well, then you'll have time to re-write if need be.

Don't think of your anxiety issues as an excuse, think of them as an obstacle you have had to over come and have made you a more determined candidate :)

I think it would be a good choice to start fresh especially after resuming after a long time. This way you get a fresh new start and equal chance. But if you decide to continue, it'll be very hard to pull those grades up in upper year courses. Remember, alot of people do 2nd degrees and learn from their 1st degree, and usually these candidates are alot more successful. Good luck and I hope this helps.

I'm not as familiar with medicine requirements (as I want to go into OT) but did look at it at one point. Others may have better advice, but here's my food for thought:

1) Do you still have to take all your bio, chem, biochem, physics (etc) requirements? Did you fail any of those courses if you did take them?

I took physics and failed and haven't taken biochemistry.

My program is a 3yr but yes it can be upgraded to a 4yr.

So you guys are saying that if I have two really good GPA years (the latest 2) I am def in contention for some schools..particulary Western and Queens?

I do feel I have tons of life experience. I was mature when I was in high school because of all the things that happened. I do think I can make a very good essay on why I would make a good doctor.

So you guys are saying that if I have two really good GPA years (the latest 2) I am def in contention for some schools..particulary Western and Queens?

Western looks at your best two full time years that meets their 3/5 course requirement (3/5 full course equivalents must be at or above your year of study. This means 3/5 FCEs at the 3** and/or 4** level in 3rd and 4th year)

Queens will look at your best two years to see if you meet their cutoffs (their first evaluation I believe is your best three years, but if you don't meet the cutoffs there then they will look at your best two).

Keep in mind, a "really good GPA" is >3.9 these days. But yes, if you can put together two really good full time years all other years will be forgiven at these two schools. Other schools have their own formulas.

Western looks at your best two full time years that meets their 3/5 course requirement (3/5 full course equivalents must be at or above your year of study. This means 3/5 FCEs at the 3** and/or 4** level in 3rd and 4th year)

Queens will look at your best two years to see if you meet their cutoffs (their first evaluation I believe is your best three years, but if you don't meet the cutoffs there then they will look at your best two).

Keep in mind, a "really good GPA" is >3.9 these days. But yes, if you can put together two really good full time years all other years will be forgiven at these two schools. Other schools have their own formulas.

Queens looks at your last 2 years, not best. And to the OP, i suggest you personally look up the schools's website. Alot of people get mistaken for other schools and might give wrongful information. This jeopardizes your future which no one wants. Good luck.

Your gpa would be 3.7/3.8 DESPITE several failed classes? That's very good. Excellent, probably because it means you were flawless in every other course you've taken despite the difficulties in your life. You definitely seem to have an interesting story and an interesting perspective on life and are what some schools consider a mature applicant.

You have a good chance at pretty much any school, provided you meet their other requirements.

Your gpa would be 3.7/3.8 DESPITE several failed classes? That's very good.

My first year was quite bad (fails) and then the semester after I had a fail as well but passed and did decent in the rest. But the prior semester and this semester are going really really well and I hope to continue the same in the final semester.

How do the school's consider somene a mature student? I mean I'm 27 but I got into Uni simply by my grades. Does it have something to do with age of the applicants or the manner in which you got into Uni?

How is a person considered non-traditional?

I think that being considered a "mature student" only applies when you are applying to undergraduate programs. I'm not sure how it works, but I think it depends on the school.

For "non-trads", I don't think it's a formal designation. It's just something we call ourselves if we have taken/are taking a non-traditional path to medicine. Traditional would be doing undergrad and then going to medical school.

Thanks for the clear explanation.

Which schools?

And are you saying that without high school science courses I'd basically be screwed trying to do the Uni science?

There are other schools, unlike the U of Ottawa and U of A, which do not have prerequisite science courses if you don't want to do all these courses to apply. Granted, I wouldn't want to be where I am right now without at least these basic science courses having been done.

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll seriously consider that. I appreciate you took the time to do that.

I'm doing a three-year BA because honestly my advisors told me that getting the general with a minor (poli-sci) is not much different then doing the 4yr polisci when it comes to job prospects. I mean it's practical job experience that will get you in to a certain position, no matter if its 3yr/4yr. If you don't have that practical experience you will be starting at the bottom of the chain either way. So as a back-up, I just wanted to get those three years then and get the BA.

Then with that out of the way, I can concentrate on a 2nd degree and doing basically what you suggested. (though I didn't consider a general science degree) I'm hesitant to be so science-heavy because as I mentioned I don't have a science background. I think the schedule you suggested would kill me. If I can escape taking physics, that be preferable. I am not 100% sure but I might have taken grade 12chem, will have to check on that. How would I take a high school course online or something? or is it though uni that they have some preperation course?

I'm def willing to put in the work though. For me, being guranteed a specific job because of my training, without really having to "work my way up", specifically in family medicine and psychiatry, and having that independence, is worth the extra years of study.

5) FYI psychiatry has a 5 year residency, so with undergrad you are looking at 9 years from when you start med. There are plenty of other things you can do that have guaranteed jobs at the other side. I would think really long and hard about this. You have to work your way up at everything in life, even as a GP. GL

Believe me, when I think about how much I still have to do to have only a chance of med school, then actually go through med school, sometimes I think I'm insane. But if I start studying hard now I'll see how far I can get.

I got a reply back from Ottawa U Med School; it seems they don't consider distance education at all? or am I misunderstanding?

"Good afternoon,

We do not recognize distance education to fulfill a full course load however, candidates can complete missing prerequisites during the summer by correspondence. In this instance the grades for the summer courses will not be counted in the calculation of your WGPA.

Regards, "

yeah that is true...I'll have to think about that.

btw, if there is anyone in a similar situation, looking to do 2nd degree, 2-3 years away from applying, who would like to study together, I'm in the Ottawa area.

I will be heading back to do a 2nd undergrad in the fall at OttawaU. Likely in health sciences, because its what I'm most interested in. I'm hoping to apply to medicine in 2-3 years, pending my decision to study epi first. gonna be an interesting/intense few years, but I'm ready! :)

• 1 month later...

Rookie, I'm in the Ottawa area as well and this will be my second time applying. For Ottawa u many of the courses require lab sessions and these must be done in person, I suspect that's why they don't accept distance courses. However, you can do some courses online through athabasca and if you contact the prof they will often let you take tha course without the high school prerequisite.

Also, have you thought about the 2 year nursing program? I did this and it was the best decision I could have made and has opened doors and helped prepare me for medicine.

If you want to chat more send me a message!!

Jenn

I got a reply back from Ottawa U Med School; it seems they don't consider distance education at all? or am I misunderstanding?

"Good afternoon,

We do not recognize distance education to fulfill a full course load however, candidates can complete missing prerequisites during the summer by correspondence. In this instance the grades for the summer courses will not be counted in the calculation of your WGPA.

Regards, "

You are misunderstanding. They will not use distance ed. for marks, but will count them for prereqs, so a degree from Athabasca won't count. They also will not count marks from the summer, so it is not a bad idea at all to do prereqs through Athabasca if you are willing to travel to do in person labs. I've done this and it is a pain.

Archived