Premed 101 Forums

Do med schools count first year AP/IB McGill students as second years?

ditde

Title.

I got transfer credits and am considered a 2nd year student at McGill, but I switched majors midway through this year so I'm going to graduate like a normal 1st year now, which is a great thing for me. I'm just worried that med schools will see this as me taking 5 years to graduate.

Also I'm worried about the 3/5 rule that requires me to take 300/400 level courses in my 3rd and 4th year. This is much more of an immediate problem because I'm currently choosing my courses for next fall and I'm not sure whether I should factor that into my course choices. Would med schools see my next year (second year in university) as my 3rd year?

While I have your attention... would I be correct to say that the 3/5 rule requires a minimum of 3 courses that are at the 300/400 level when you are in your 3rd or 4th year, which means you can take 300 level courses in your 4th year?

Guest LeCreuset
Title.

I got transfer credits and am considered a 2nd year student at McGill, but I switched majors midway through this year so I'm going to graduate like a normal 1st year now, which is a great thing for me. I'm just worried that med schools will see this as me taking 5 years to graduate.

Also I'm worried about the 3/5 rule that requires me to take 300/400 level courses in my 3rd and 4th year. This is much more of an immediate problem because I'm currently choosing my courses for next fall and I'm not sure whether I should factor that into my course choices. Would med schools see my next year (second year in university) as my 3rd year?

While I have your attention... would I be correct to say that the 3/5 rule requires a minimum of 3 courses that are at the 300/400 level when you are in your 3rd or 4th year, which means you can take 300 level courses in your 4th year?

Did your school require you to substitute courses you have credit for with electives or did they permit you to simply take all the 2000 level courses a second year student would?

Although for the best answer, check what your progression currently is in your new program on your student center website if possible, if not see an academic counselor to see what your official status would appear on university documents.

For example, a first year student at Western who has > 3.0 in AP credits and is taking 2000-level courses is still considered to be in 'year 1' on official documents despite the transfer credits.

Med schools would consider you to be in the year that your school officially says you are, so whatever that is is what you are to them. I'm not sure if there are supplementary forms you would be able to fill out to explain your circumstances.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm going to go see my academic counselor on Monday. I'm considered a Year 2 student by McGill, but people I've spoken to say that they tend to take the full 4 years to graduate anyway. It just seems a little strange to be considered a 3rd year next year after only one year of university...

Also I wasn't given full credit for all the courses that I needed, so I am still required to take some Year 1 courses if that matters at all.

hey ditde,

don't worry about it. Just make sure that for the last 2 years of your degree, you take 3/5 of 300-level or 400-level courses. As long as that is met it's fine.

As long as for your degree you have 2 years that have 300 or 400 level courses 3/5 of the load, it's fine.

If you don't have 3/5 of 300 or 400 level courses next year, that is fine. UWO just won't count that as one of the 2 eligible years.

Archived