Premed 101 Forums

McGill Fee Refund.

I present this reasonable yet unreasonable idea -- given the not-so-nice way of handling the applications of fellow applicants this year, especially those who could only assume their rejections based on unofficial Twitter posts, I was wondering if the applicants could ask McGill for a partial refund of their application fee -- to the level before the raised it to 140 CAD.

I understand the officers have had worked very hard during that period with unfortunate labour disruptions, paying a higher fee for services of less quality is somewhat unreasonable.

I am neither pressuring the Office, nor am I saying one should care more about the 140 CAD than the application process itself. I do, however, urge the Office of Admission and McGill Medicine administration to take a more applicant-friendly approach.

Just my 2 cents, before Penny is eliminated.

I present this reasonable yet unreasonable idea -- given the not-so-nice way of handling the applications of fellow applicants this year, especially those who could only assume their rejections based on unofficial Twitter posts, I was wondering if the applicants could ask McGill for a partial refund of their application fee -- to the level before the raised it to 140 CAD.

I understand the officers have had worked very hard during that period with unfortunate labour disruptions, paying a higher fee for services of less quality is somewhat unreasonable.

I am neither pressuring the Office, nor am I saying one should care more about the 140 CAD than the application process itself. I do, however, urge the Office of Admission and McGill Medicine administration to take a more applicant-friendly approach.

Just my 2 cents, before Penny is eliminated.

It will be like trying to revive a dead...

That seems like a reasonable thing to do, though I wouldn't expect to receive any refund. Send your concerns to both the "AED" office and the greater McGill administration (e.g. the university president). The admissions offices exist to serve students, so they need to be reminded when they aren't accomplishing this.

Don't dismiss Twitter as being unofficial or unprofessional though; it is a very useful resource for organizations to effectively disseminate information. I thought it was entirely reasonable the way that the admissions office used Twitter this year.

The one thing that really annoys me about McGill's application process is how they collect a very high application fee (was it $140) from out-of-province applicants without telling them about the very high GPA cutoff. From what I heard, these applicants simply had their applications thrown out if they didn't meet the GPA cutoff...so next to no work required to evaluate them.

I wasn't affected by this, but this was a very unprofessional (even unethical) thing to do to the applicants in this pool.

• 3 weeks later...
The one thing that really annoys me about McGill's application process is how they collect a very high application fee (was it $140) from out-of-province applicants without telling them about the very high GPA cutoff. From what I heard, these applicants simply had their applications thrown out if they didn't meet the GPA cutoff...so next to no work required to evaluate them.

I wasn't affected by this, but this was a very unprofessional (even unethical) thing to do to the applicants in this pool.

it would've been if people knew upfront to check twitter for updates. It's very clear that all communication is to be done via minerva or email provided by the applicant.

thus, if you want to communicate with people by any other mean thats okay, but if they are not aware then yes, it is unprofessional.

Don't stress yourself out. You aren't getting any money back. So just move on with your life. If anything, you are asking for trouble with future applications should you choose to re-apply.

+1

You will never get a refund, and you will just decrease your chances of ever getting in. Do you really think adcoms will forget and forgive?

• 1 month later...
That seems like a reasonable thing to do, though I wouldn't expect to receive any refund. Send your concerns to both the "AED" office and the greater McGill administration (e.g. the university president). The admissions offices exist to serve students, so they need to be reminded when they aren't accomplishing this.

Don't dismiss Twitter as being unofficial or unprofessional though; it is a very useful resource for organizations to effectively disseminate information. I thought it was entirely reasonable the way that the admissions office used Twitter this year.

it is unprofessional when you spend 2 weeks of your life on an application and pay the big fee (out of your student loans) and take extra courses to qualify just so that you can apply, then put up with no document updates in your minerva for months, etc., etc.

just to get rejected by twitter. not cool.

Archived