Premed 101 Forums

master degree or becoming a Dental Hygienist in order to qualified for dental school?

Hello everyone,

I'm a forth year student in Biology/psychology major . I always wanted to get in to dental school but as I can see right now my GPA is too low since I'm doing double major. I don't want to give up on my dreams so I want to continue studying until I achieve what I want but I'm kind of confused !! I don't know if it's better for me to apply to grad school ( like physiology in U of T ) or just apply for dental hygienist and after that again apply for dental school ?! which way is better ?! I myself prefer to go to dental hygienist since it gives me hands on job experience before applying to dental school but I'm not sure if that can help me in anyway to get into dental school itself!

master or dental hygienist ?! :) I don't want to stick to dental hygienist I just want to use it as a way to get into dentistry :P

Hello everyone,

I'm a forth year student in Biology/psychology major . I always wanted to get in to dental school but as I can see right now my GPA is too low since I'm doing double major. I don't want to give up on my dreams so I want to continue studying until I achieve what I want but I'm kind of confused !! I don't know if it's better for me to apply to grad school ( like physiology in U of T ) or just apply for dental hygienist and after that again apply for dental school ?! which way is better ?! I myself prefer to go to dental hygienist since it gives me hands on job experience before applying to dental school but I'm not sure if that can help me in anyway to get into dental school itself!

master or dental hygienist ?! :) I don't want to stick to dental hygienist I just want to use it as a way to get into dentistry :P

I don't believe having a hygienist's certificate will help you in gaining admission. An MSc certainly will.

Hello everyone,

If dentistry is your ultimate goal, GO FOR GRAD SCHOOL. The benefit to your application is sizable

If dentistry is your ultimate goal, GO FOR GRAD SCHOOL. The benefit to your application is sizable

Agreed. Although if your GPA is weak then you might have to consider US or Australia..so be prepared for that and do some research on other avenues besides Canada

It would help if you state your GPA.

If it's below 3.6, I don't think Masters will help much. I would do another degree if I were you OR go apply in the US/Aus.

If it's 3.6-3.8. Masters will definitely help you regardless of a low UG GPA.

If it's 3.8+. You should just keep applying or take extra courses to pull that GPA up a little bit.

It would help if you state your GPA.

If it's below 3.6, I don't think Masters will help much. I would do another degree if I were you OR go apply in the US/Aus.

If it's 3.6-3.8. Masters will definitely help you regardless of a low UG GPA.

If it's 3.8+. You should just keep applying or take extra courses to pull that GPA up a little bit.

well I'm below 3.6 that's why I wanted to change my path after graduation . I'm considering applying to USA too but I prefer to continue studying for 2 more years as either master or dental hygienist. Is it the same for the US too ?! I mean in regards to taking masters ?! as we all know Canadian universities are more academic based than practical but what about USA ?! do they consider you more if you have dental hygienist license or not ?!

well I'm below 3.6 that's why I wanted to change my path after graduation . I'm considering applying to USA too but I prefer to continue studying for 2 more years as either master or dental hygienist. Is it the same for the US too ?! I mean in regards to taking masters ?! as we all know Canadian universities are more academic based than practical but what about USA ?! do they consider you more if you have dental hygienist license or not ?!

Forget the hygienist route. You should look at doing what's called a post-bac, taking additional courses beyond your 4 years to raise your undergrad CGPA as much as possible. Once that's cemented you're done and can never go back. Look at various websites where you can rate teachers and make sure you take classes where the A is within reach.

The Masters will help wherever you go because if you get the interview it gives you an edge over other B.Sc applicants by allowing you to discuss your research, maturity etc.

Forget the hygienist route. You should look at doing what's called a post-bac, taking additional courses beyond your 4 years to raise your undergrad CGPA as much as possible. Once that's cemented you're done and can never go back. Look at various websites where you can rate teachers and make sure you take classes where the A is within reach.

The Masters will help wherever you go because if you get the interview it gives you an edge over other B.Sc applicants by allowing you to discuss your research, maturity etc.

I guess Masters will help. But honestly speaking, by doing a new degree you get the foundations to work with and a fresh start. You also get an equal opportunity as everyone else applying. So why spend 2 years pulling up your grades to a UG ~3.7 GPA assuming you getting 4.0's + then you have to do your masters ....But why do that when you can just start fresh and start with a 4.0 and perhaps get in 3 years. That's what I would do.

Archived