Premed 101 Forums

Planning ahead while finishing 2nd year of 1st degree

1st and 2nd year GPA ~3.57 and ~85%. GPA is low because most grades are 70%-79% and 95%-100%. In 4th year, I'll be able to apply to U Manitoba and UBC and be slightly competitive if I get >90% on all courses from now on. U Manitoba will drop the 12 lowest credits (so I'll have a GPA ~4.3/4.5), and UBC drops the lowest year and uses % grades :) . I'll also need a high MCAT. My ECs are great, comparing to what people who have gotten in have done.

Since I realize the situation I'm in and I fear not getting in after finishing the degree, I want to plan for what's coming.

After 4th year, should it be Pharmacy school, Masters Program, or 5th year?

1) What's the point of a 5th year? Will doing a 5th year be an option if I'll already have completed all of the degree requirements by 4th year? Is the 5th year just used to take random courses to get a high GPA even if it does not go towards a major/minor?

Doing a 2nd degree is not on my mind because I'm already in the easiest possible degree program (maybe not at the easiest university but probably one of the easiest majors/degree program since I choose 40%-50% of my courses)

2) Apply to Pharmacy School (you have a job waiting for you after graduating) while in 4th year and if I get in, continue applying to med while doing the pharmacy degree.

3) Masters program. However, I wont have a guaranteed job after finishing the Masters degree. If i choose this route, I'll also continue applying to med while doing this degree.

Is all hope lost? :(

"We never get what we want,we never want what we get,we never like what we have"

dont be so sure, unless you wanna be a float an do locums, pharmacy techs and foreign trained pharmacists are taking a ton of jobs

2) Apply to Pharmacy School (you have a job waiting for you after graduating) while in 4th year and if I get in, continue applying to med while doing the pharmacy degree.

[/size]

• 2 weeks later...

Dalhousie Med school states: "Graduate students must complete and submit their thesis prior to starting medical school and thus graduate students should not apply until there is a firm end point established to their graduate work."

I mean, what if I could care less about say the masters degree and I'm just enrolled in it to maintain student status?

say I finish 4th year and don't get in, and the following year, I'm registered in a Masters degree, am I eligible to apply to med school in that year since the med schools will only see my undergrad degree marks?

Full disclosure is required. Deceit, upon discovery, can result in expulsion years later. Hardly worth the risk.

futuredoc by full disclosure, do you mean every university course ever taken? say i took 2 business classes for fun when i finished my degree, but they are irrelevant to all apps. aside from undergrad and grad marks, do i need to submit these too? what if i didn't?

futuredoc by full disclosure, do you mean every university course ever taken? say i took 2 business classes for fun when i finished my degree, but they are irrelevant to all apps. aside from undergrad and grad marks, do i need to submit these too? what if i didn't?

If you were a registered student, then YES, every university course ever taken. Continuing education course would be different. If you didn't disclose, in this situation, it is not a biggie, but there could still be consequences. Rather than risk it, I would disclose and explain somewhere appropriate, these were fun courses that you did not treat seriously, reflected in the grades. There are so many competitive applicants, I would not risk non-disclosure.

Archived