Premed 101 Forums

Masters vs 2nd undergrad or change residency

Hello Everyone,

I am in a dilemma as to what step I should do with my life. I am lost for ideas any input will be great. My GPA stats (OMSAS) are as follows:

1 3.68

2. 3.4

3. 3.45

4. 3.78

5. 3.8

Full courseload all years. I am going to graduate and have a MCAT of 14 (BS)/9 VR/13 PS. I applied this cycle without any luck.

My options are as follows:

1. Do a second undergrad (would hate this!)

2. Pursue a masters degree I have been accepted to a few research programs (Uoft, Mcgill) for masters.

3. Move to Calgary for IP status for upcoming cycle and work as a research assistant. (Calgary GPA is 3.65). Activities above average imo.

I will be writing my MCAT again so that will definitely help with QUeens and Western.

I have talked to a lot of people, my professors suggest I should do a masters, but other students point towards calgary's IP strategy. Please help me out!

Thanks!

Can't help much with the actual decision itself, but if you're going to hate doing a 2nd undergrad, then it's definitely not worth keeping it as an option if you're just going to be miserable for 1-2 years :(.

Also, have you had previous research experience to help you with deciding whether or not you like research instead of spending 2 years in a Master's which you might also hate?

My suggestion would be to do a Master's that you are interested in and will likely get publications. I would suggest clinical research over basic science research because it is easier to finish in the normal timeframe and likely to be easier.

• 2 weeks later...

you have a such a great trend, is it possible to stay for another year as a student? you can take courses in one concentrated field and become special student in department of ___ (ie.// arts and humanities, assuming you have been taking sciences).

If you keep up your trend, you won't have to waste extra years in getting degree which you did not want to and if you don't think you will be getting CIHR or NSERC or publication, MSc would be a waste of a time if you don't enjoy your research of course.

So I guess, unless you will be a strong MSc student, it might be better to be UG rather than MSc when applying...especially U of T where they look at your productivity as an important factor.

Cheers,

i wouldnt bother...id do USA md (dont know why you didnt apply)

USA DO (dont know why you didnt apply)

or international (faster)- you have shown you can be successful...mcat wise...

if you are ok with FM in the USA...id save my time and go there....

I DO NOT RECOMMEND A MASTERS!!!!

please becare with this...you can see...tons and TONS AND TONS of neg comments floating on vbull about how they hate their programs...

masters is used by unversities to generate gov money through research by using young talented individuals for "manual labor"...they have no value for students

if you dont love research..avoid

I would definitely recommend a course based masters because there is a definite end point in sight. It not only boosts your application to med, but is also an asset for when you are done your MD.

Many residents are now doing a masters in public health, clinical epi, or health research methodology to land better fellowships and faculty positions.

you have a such a great trend, is it possible to stay for another year as a student? you can take courses in one concentrated field and become special student in department of ___ (ie.// arts and humanities, assuming you have been taking sciences).

Cheers,

I understand where you are coming from but I dragged myself through 5th year, and can't see myself doing another year of useless courses.

Your last two years of 3.78 and 3.8 are ok. If you have strong ECs you may be able to get in with your current GPA.

That's what I am hoping for. I have extensive work/volunteer activities so hopefully those help me. I am considering moving to calgary so that might help

I DO NOT RECOMMEND A MASTERS!!!!

please becare with this...you can see...tons and TONS AND TONS of neg comments floating on vbull about how they hate their programs...

masters is used by unversities to generate gov money through research by using young talented individuals for "manual labor"...they have no value for students

if you dont love research..avoid

I do understand where you are coming from but from what I have heard a masters helps you as well. Maybe not at the present moment but later on after med when competing for residencies. I will be waiting for a year to re apply so why not do something productive. That's the dilemma.

As far as america medical schools are concerned they are too expensive and I dont have the financial means (cash/loan cosigner) to go there.

I would definitely recommend a course based masters because there is a definite end point in sight. It not only boosts your application to med, but is also an asset for when you are done your MD.

Many residents are now doing a masters in public health, clinical epi, or health research methodology to land better fellowships and faculty positions.

I am looking into those but there are limited programs. I looked into public health but I have no interest in it. I have learnt a lesson not to take courses that dont interest me, cause I do poorly in them. There are a few programs in England but they are expensive too.

Thanks a lot guys for your feedback. At the present moment I am thinking about moving to calgary finding a research assistant job and applying to medical schools. It will give me some time off from school and will earn some cash to save up for later. The only problem is the thought that if I fail to get in I would have spent another year doing nothing!:(

Just want to let you know that getting a research assistant job in Calgary isn't a walk in the park. It really depends on your skill set and connections, plus some luck.

I tried for a while and then ended up taking on two part time jobs completely unrelated to my educational background. FWIW, I had a Master's, so maybe that was part of my problem. If you do choose to move here, keep an open mind regarding the type of work you are willing to do. :)

best,

LL

Just want to let you know that getting a research assistant job in Calgary isn't a walk in the park. It really depends on your skill set and connections, plus some luck.

I tried for a while and then ended up taking on two part time jobs completely unrelated to my educational background. FWIW, I had a Master's, so maybe that was part of my problem. If you do choose to move here, keep an open mind regarding the type of work you are willing to do. :)

best,

LL

But why would a masters be a problem? Wouldn't it help you instead?

best,

LL

I'd second this statement. Getting a position as a research assistant in Calgary is tough, especially without having a graduate degree.

• 1 month later...

nice advice, not all masters degrees are in bio, haha… only do research based masters if ur interested in field… op, if u want any masters period…. public policy, public health, clin trials… research methods is like hidden gem, girl i know with psych phd is making way more consulting on research n stats than working in academia n loves it… plus ur so much better clinician if u can read papers n not have to take them at face value… also… so useful for academic jobs in certain specialties

Archived