Premed 101 Forums

Difference bw PA and NP

Hi everyone,

I have just started researching about nurse practitioners and physician's assistants. For those of you who already know this, maybe you can help me out. What are the main differences between the two professions? In your opinion, what is the better option?

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I have just started researching about nurse practitioners and physician's assistants. For those of you who already know this, maybe you can help me out. What are the main differences between the two professions? In your opinion, what is the better option?

Thanks!

Hi KPM,

A few things:

It's Physician assistant, not physician's assistant.

As for the difference between NPs and PAs, CAPA made a document on this a few years ago. Here is a quote from it:

"PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT:

Definition: Academically prepared and highly skilled health care professionals who practice medicine, providing medical care that extends a physician's services within a formalized physician supervised practice arrangement.

NURSE PRACTITIONER:

Registered nurses with advanced education and training in a clinical specialty who can perform legislated nursing services independently, and delegated

medical acts with physician supervision

PA scope of practice: Scope of Practice The supervising physician has relatively broad discretion in delegating medical tasks within his/her scope of practice to the PA according to provincial or state regulations A Practice Contract is established. PA Role does not require on-site supervision but communication access to the supervisor is required

NP scope of practice: Nursing care is provided as an independent function within defined parameters; however, protocols, written, or verbal orders are required for delegated medical acts - some acts may require Physician supervision. Each Province has modifications to the degree of independent practice authorized and scope of practice authorized.

PA education: Education Affiliated with Medical Programs

Previous health care experience recommended or higher educational qualifications obtained; Many have bachelors degree and a growing percentage hold Graduate degrees on acceptance to a program.

PA Medical Education curriculum is advanced science

based material with 11 months of didactic and over 2000

clinical clerkship hours required. All PAs are trained as generalists in a primary care medical model and some

receive post-graduate specialty training. A Canadian National Competency Profile defines procedural and clinical skill components with emphasis on diagnosis, treatment, and patient education following the CANMEDS format.

NP education: Affiliated with Nursing schools

BSN is prerequisite; curriculum is biopsychosocial

based, based upon behavioral, natural, and humanistic

sciences. NPs choose a specialty training track in adult, acute care, pediatric, women’s health or gerontology. Approx. 500 didactic hours and 500-700 clinical hours post Nursing degree.

Emphasis on patient education, diagnosis, treatment and prevention.

Generally not trained for surgical settings.

Post graduate education often Master’s level prepared"

As to what option is better: if you want to be a PA, be a PA, if you want to be an NP, be an NP. It depends on your goals. Being a PA means essentially doing the job of a physician but with supervision whereas being an NP encorporates both the practice of medicine and nursing and allows for independence. PAs are autonomous but supervised whereas NPs can work without supervision from what I understand. Ultimately, the job you do, whether as an NP, PA, MD, DO, etc., etc. might be the same/similar. It depends on the job itself.

I have never been a nurse so I cannot speak much about NPs; perhaps an NP on here could chime in (and correct me if I am wrong). I am happy to answer any questions you have about PAs though :)

Archived