Premed 101 Forums

MOTP and CaRMS?

Guest WhiteTiger

Guest WhiteTiger

If I were to get admitted to medical school, I'd seriously consider going the MOTP route. Now, as most of you know, MOTP "forces" you to take FM and then serve 4 years of service before being eligible for another speciality within the army.

My question is, assuming someone goes MOTP, does FM, serves 4 years and then leaves the army, is he eligible to respec in the first-round of CaRMS?

Guest therealcrackers

I think the minimum requirement for re-application to a specialty is 6-12 months of work in your chosen field; your 4-year ROS would certainly fill the bill. One of the 2007s at Western is in the military, and he has the option of sponsored training in emerg, general surgery/trauma, and other options that are especially relevant to MDs in the military.

Guest WhiteTiger

That's great, but doesn't answer my question. I'm talking about someone who serves his four FP years and QUITS the military and wants to re-specialize on his own. Is he eligible for first-round?

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

I don't have anything to back this up, but I sincerely doubt that you can re-enter the first round of CaRMS after having been through it once before. If you are interested in re-specializing, then you can try and cut a deal with a program you are interested to get them to take you. There is an example of a former military/GP guy who is now in the 5-year anaesthesia program here at UWO. That's how he managed to do things, but he did say that the prospects of having to go from making a "regular" physician salary back to a resident's salary was quite daunting...

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest ploughboy

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Hash: SHA1

Hey there,

With all the changes going on to CaRMS over the next few years, who knows? As it stands right now, the first round of CaRMS is restricted to those who have no post-graduate medical training (ie fresh grads). Any practicing physician wanting to change specialties for any reason (eg gets tired of being up all night after practicing as a surgeon for 10 years) needs to go through the second round of CaRMS. So the answer to your question is "no".

Actually, the answer to your question is "no, but..." Some physicians manage to cut a deal with somebody with deep pockets who sponsors a residency position for them. Often this is in return for practicing in an underserviced area for a number of years, but the military also does this from time to time as TMax and trc have indicated. I gather that you don't want to make a career out of the military, but I'm going to do a brain dump here anyway...

There was a presentation by a military recruiter at UWO earlier this year. My head is full of renal phys right now, but as I recall she said something about second residencies through the military. As I understand it, after your MOTP return-of-service is complete, you can potentially do a second residency sponsored by the military. I'm not sure of the details of the return-of-service for that residency, but at least some of it simply involved working as a physician on civvie-street, but being available at a moment's notice to drop everything and go where the military sends you.

It actually sounded like a fairly sweet deal. For instance you train and practice as an anaesthesiologist (sp?), finish your residency, go to work in a civilian hospital, have a house in the suburbs, a spouse, minivan and 2.5 kids. A couple of years pass, then one day the gv't decides to send a battle-group off to the other side of the world, with a field hospital tagging along with it. You get a phone call, take your Cadpat out of the closet, kiss the kids goodbye and go with them.

I'm really hazy on the details, but if this is a huge issue for you, pm me and I can probably dig up the recruiter's contact info.

pb

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

Version: GnuPG v1.4.0 (FreeBSD)

iD8DBQFEcRv9/HNgbK3bC2wRAp0/AJ0XkEtx3/mKSvpAnl53ngs0MwUsCACfd9Vv

tf29Hr+eJtVd4KUY1ohzP3M=

=piK2

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Archived