Premed 101 Forums

FAMILY MEDICINE RESIDENCY

Guest jabbott2007

Guest jabbott2007

I am a 3rd year med student, interested in family. Does anyone know objectively the quality of family med residency programs across canada - from the good to the bad?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

I don't think that there is a real 'objective' measurement of FM programs across the country, since graduates from all FM programs across the country that pass their exams are all deemed equally competent to practice FM without any restrictions on their practice. Like most programs across the country, the perceived quality is mostly a subjective measure governed by gossip and hearsay more than anything else.

That said, I've heard that Queen's and Calgary have the "best" FM programs in the country. Don't ask me why b/c I didn't apply to these schools nor did I do any research to back up this claim- it is just what I have heard from people who did apply and stuff.

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest Da Birdie

Ditto TimmyMax. To choose the program that's most suitable for you, you'll have to take into consideration: the curriculum arrangement (half-day-back? amount of electives? amount of out-of-prov electives? customizable rotation schedules? required ICU/CCU rotations? 1-on-1 vs team-based learning? etc), the type of medicine you wish to practise (different programs, or even different Sites within a program, have different patient populations, amount of rural exposure, etc), quotas available for 3rd year training, quality of teaching, strength of the specialty programs (that family residents rotate through), resident wellfare, etc.

A quick (but maybe not very accurate) way to see which programs are popular/good is to check the match stats at CaRMS website. Another quick way is to ask the freshly-CaRM'ed-out 4th years for their impressions.

The sites that I've heard good things about include UBC Victoria, UBC Chilliwack, Rural Alberta N/S, Calgary, and Queen's. Certain Toronto and DAL sites also got good reviews.

But at the end, it all comes down to where you can get the training geared for your career goals and learning style, and be happy!!

Archived