Premed 101 Forums

Worth it to apply for the 2012-2013 cycle?

Hi all,

I'm currently doing an MSc at UWO (about to enter my second year) in biology and have been considering applying to med school in the fall. I have always been interested in applying, but with fear of the competition I decided on grad school.

Regardless, I'm interested in knowing whether or not I have any shot should I apply this upcoming cycle? (I'm currently studying for the MCAT, which I plan to take this fall)

1: 3.29

2: 3.29

3: 3.65

4: 3.92

cGPA: 3.54

Best two years: 3.785

I have a few presentations and one first authour paper currently in reviews with Animal Behaviour. In addition, I have also been a TA for a first year biology and two upper-year biology classes.

Extra-curriculars: plenty of theatre, volunteering, sports, national level undergrad scholarship...I feel good about my amount and level of EC's

Thanks for the help!

"Worth it to apply?" questions always strike me as kind of odd, because you are debating whether the rest of your life is worth a small application fee.

With that being said, my two cents, you should look at the sticky in this thread regarding grad policies at the different Canadian med schools.

UofT is always a good choice due to their holistic approach to applicant assessment, as long as you pass the red-flags (MCAT, minimum wGPA) you stand a chance at getting an interview.

UWO, requires the minimum GPA in each of your best two years. The lowest I've seen in the past 3 yrs is 3.75 I believe, so it may be a longshot.

Queens, as far as I know usually have a higher MCAT cut-off but look at the average of your best 2 years, and I've seen posts with people getting interviews with as low as 3.6x.

Others like Mac and OttawaU will only assess your undergrad cGPA so they may be longshots, but with Mac's crazy weighting on the CASPer (25% Undergraduate Grade Point Average, 25% MCAT Verbal Reasoning Score, 46% CASPer Score) everybody really has a chance in my opinion.

If you really want to pursue a career in medicine, how can you ever get there without taking the first steps and applying? If you feel you are a well-rounded candidate and this is indeed what you want to do with your life then take a risk, apply, and see what the future holds.

I totally understand the fear of rejection and applying to begin with, but if med is really your dream, go for it! I would definitely apply anyway. However, be selective with what schools best suit your situation and focus on doing those applications really well. Unless you're willing to spend more money on applications and have the time to complete them, then you can apply to everything! At the worst situation, you won't get an interview, but you'll have experience with the application process and know what to strengthen for the next application cycle!

You should definitely apply. Your master's degree (if you finish it by the respective schools' deadlines) will help your application, since you have a fair/good undergrad GPA. Also, I noticed that you said you were going to write your MCAT in the fall. Keep in mind the deadlines for writing the MCAT for applying this cycle to the various schools. I think it may be that you have to write it by the end of September.

Thanks for the advice guys.

@Turkleton - I totally agree with you. It is only a small application fee, and the rest of your life. At this point I'm confident I will have at least a decent chance at some schools (assuming I do well on the MCAT) so I am planning on going for it.

@kpm - Yeah I think I'm going to write the MCAT at the beginning of August. I was thinking about applying to Dal, so was considering writing it in time to meet their deadlines as well. And yes, then it's just a matter of finishing the thesis in time....

Hi all,

I'm currently doing an MSc at UWO (about to enter my second year) in biology and have been considering applying to med school in the fall. I have always been interested in applying, but with fear of the competition I decided on grad school.

Regardless, I'm interested in knowing whether or not I have any shot should I apply this upcoming cycle? (I'm currently studying for the MCAT, which I plan to take this fall)

1: 3.29

2: 3.29

3: 3.65

4: 3.92

cGPA: 3.54

Best two years: 3.785

I have a few presentations and one first authour paper currently in reviews with Animal Behaviour. In addition, I have also been a TA for a first year biology and two upper-year biology classes.

Extra-curriculars: plenty of theatre, volunteering, sports, national level undergrad scholarship...I feel good about my amount and level of EC's

Thanks for the help!

I am also in a similar position. I finished by MS in molecular biology and I am thinking of applying this year ( 2012-2013). I feel I will be ready to write MCAT in mid-august. Is that too late? My plan is to take it anyways and apply, if i do not get in this year, I will apply again. But I read in some other posts that reapplying is frowned upon by med schools. I am confused now. Is there anybody who knows more about this? I am new to this forum.

Thanks a lot.

I was thinking about applying to Dal, so was considering writing it in time to meet their deadlines as well.

Keep in mind that if you are an OOP candidate for Dal, you must meet 3.7 in at least 2 years of your undergraduate degree.

"...Minimum GPA of 3.7 on a 4.0 scale in each of the last two consecutive years of full time * study, prior to making an application."

Due to this, don't push yourself to finish by August for the MCAT if you feel that you can dedicate more time to it by writing it at the end of August or 1st week of September.

Good luck!

Hi guys,

I just finished my first year of my second degree, and I was wondering if I even have a slight chance of getting in? My first choice is UBC, but any suggestions of schools would be welcome.

1st degree

2nd degree

Extracurricular: volunteering at a hospital for 5 years as of now, one summer research experience, one summer helping children in Africa, intramural sports, etc.

Mcat to be taken in August

Considering UBC takes into account Non-academic activities for 50% of the whole calculations, would I have any chances of getting the interview with terrible gpa in the first degree, but 3.93 in the first year of second degree?

Or, should I apply after my completion of my second degree next year? But, this means that I going to have to find something do for another year.

Honest suggestions and advices would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

I think all the pre-meds would be quite surprised by the caliber of ECs most accepted students have. In other words, in most cases, don't expect your ECs to carry your application. Having said that, I have no specifics on your chances.

Keep in mind that if you are an OOP candidate for Dal, you must meet 3.7 in at least 2 years of your undergraduate degree.

"...Minimum GPA of 3.7 on a 4.0 scale in each of the last two consecutive years of full time * study, prior to making an application."

Due to this, don't push yourself to finish by August for the MCAT if you feel that you can dedicate more time to it by writing it at the end of August or 1st week of September.

Good luck!

Will they not round my 3.65 to 3.7? I read on their website that they round to the nearest tenth. Plus they will also use my masters grades for this year I believe.

as a NOSM student, I'll try to not be offended that it hasn't come into the equation yet haha

if you grew up somewhere in the North it should definitely be on your radar as their GPA cutoffs are relatively low... and don't really matter post interview (usually about 400 interviews for less than 70 seats... but interview plays a massive role once you get there).

Archived