Premed 101 Forums

UWO radiology chances without on-site elective

I haven't met anyone that has interviewed there without an on-site elective.

This has changed in recent years. Still helps to have the on-site elective though.

How did their interview pool look this past cycle? Was it full of on-site electives again?

The problem is I overlooked uwo when planning my rads electives and now I already have 3 booked elsewhere. Doing a 4th rad might be too many, for those PDs who like to see a diverse set of electives.

Would it do any good to do a non-rads elective at uwo and drop by the dept a few times to introduce myself?

Would it do any good to do a non-rads elective at uwo and drop by the dept a few times to introduce myself?

I've got a friend who only had one radiology elective (it was at UWO), interviewed, but didn't get in ultimately. So I think you'll probably be fine getting an interview by showing you've done a lot of other rads electives.

I'm not in clerkship yet, but I've heard from friends who are clerks that even contacting the PD and letting them know you're interested in the program but haven't had the opportunity to do an elective there, and would like to come see what it's like/meet the staff/get a tour is a good idea. Just so you've shown your face at least so you're not a complete stranger come interview time. Just a thought!

igeorgex gave some good suggestions above. No guarantees of course, but if you make a special visit and mention this in your PS, it should help.

I've got a friend who only had one radiology elective (it was at UWO), interviewed, but didn't get in ultimately. So I think you'll probably be fine getting an interview by showing you've done a lot of other rads electives.

Good to have some electives to show interest/exposure to the field, but after a certain point it's not as helpful since most people applying will have more than one radiology elective.

The problem is I overlooked uwo when planning my rads electives and now I already have 3 booked elsewhere. Doing a 4th rad might be too many, for those PDs who like to see a diverse set of electives.

I would do the rads elective and take the hit on "diversity". I don't think, in my program, we have ever even discussed elective diversity for the applicants but we have frequently discussed on site electives.

Archived