Premed 101 Forums

Quit NSERC halfway?

Guest JustAnotherStudent

Guest JustAnotherStudent

Just wonder if one can quit NSERC halfway?

I got my DMD acceptance and just wanna chill for the whole summer, but I have started this NSERC project since 1st of May. I found myself (almost) not doing anything in the lab, sulfing internet, facebooking, youtube, pm101, while having no motivation to do research (and I never enjoy research anyway).

The prof is really nice to me, and gave me a wonderful reference letter. I just dunno what to do :(

I got my acceptance and just wanna chill for the whole summer, but I have started this NSERC project since 1st of May. I found myself (almost) not doing anything in the lab, sulfing internet, facebooking, youtube, pm101, while having no motivation to do research (and I never enjoy research anyway).

The prof is really nice to me, and gave me a wonderful reference letter. I just dunno what to do :(

Congrats! I was in the same boat 4 years ago and I sucked it up lol. The research community isn't that large and I think it's a bad idea to send out messages that you're someone who doesn't stick to your word and screws people over after you achieve your goals. Besides, it's money, no pressure to really perform, and it'll look nice on the CV. Maybe try to get a week off or something if you can. Besides, morally, how can you screw someone over who wrote you a reference and is nice to you?

Oh I read you got into dents, well I mean I supposeeee if you ultimately just want to practice and don't want anything to do with research. But people do talk....esp if it's at the same school.

you're getting paid and the Prof may become a reference in the future. I say make the most out of the opportunity. Try and get your name on a paper. If they're not making you work hard, then just consider it as a paycation!

If you hate it so much that it's bad for your health, then consider taking off?

Guest JustAnotherStudent
Congrats! I was in the same boat 4 years ago and I sucked it up lol. The research community isn't that large and I think it's a bad idea to send out messages that you're someone who doesn't stick to your word and screws people over after you achieve your goals. Besides, it's money, no pressure to really perform, and it'll look nice on the CV. Maybe try to get a week off or something if you can. Besides, morally, how can you screw someone over who wrote you a reference and is nice to you?

Oh I read you got into dents, well I mean I supposeeee if you ultimately just want to practice and don't want anything to do with research. But people do talk....esp if it's at the same school.

I am having the same thought like you too. I would feel guilty to quit halfway, especially since the prof is really nice to me. But it is not nice to slack off in the lab and do nothing either

and I don't think dentistry requires that much research as medicine for specialties matching

Guest JustAnotherStudent
you're getting paid and the Prof may become a reference in the future. I say make the most out of the opportunity. Try and get your name on a paper. If they're not making you work hard, then just consider it as a paycation!

If you hate it so much that it's bad for your health, then consider taking off?

No, i don't hate it, i just feel guilty for slacking off and youtubing for the whole day without doing anything; but then, i barely have any interest in those works

Guest JustAnotherStudent
I've done a couple of nserc funded studies in neuroscience and what i do know is the prof/PI benefits from having an nserc student. They get to apply for more grants and whatnot. Makes their cv look better. If you appreciate your pi, stick with until the end. Congrats btw

Thanks for telling me :) I didn't know that. I guess I will try to do sth and stay till the end

Guest JustAnotherStudent
Lol I'm surprised that they don't work you. Even after I got in, I was still given all these experiments to do. Did a bunch on the day I wanted to check my e-mail for acceptances.

That's sound a lot to do, why don't you call it a quit or ask the PI to reduce your workload?

make up some excuse about a sick relative "back home", voila! no feelings hurt, fun time for you :).

I got my DMD acceptance and just wanna chill for the whole summer, but I have started this NSERC project since 1st of May. I found myself (almost) not doing anything in the lab, sulfing internet, facebooking, youtube, pm101, while having no motivation to do research (and I never enjoy research anyway).

I do not want to sound rude but you sound like an entitled selfish brat who got his way and now wants to bail on people when they need you. It is not like this is some day job that you applied for and decided you did not like. Your professor not only helped you apply for an NSERC award (an award that many students would have killed to have been honored - myself included), but he/she also took the time to write you a nice reference letter. How can you in good conscience knowingly bail on somebody like that when they are counting on you to hold up your end of the bargain. Karma is a *****.. :mad:

ABS:mad:

Just chill... relax, collect your paycheque, hit the gym, enjoy the summer, help out a few of the grad students with their projects and make friends with them (if applicable). This last point is KEY: During my last NSERC, I did that and the summer was amazing, I basically went into work to play Monopoly with the grad students everyday. The PI even let me take a month off to travel Europe (I made sure to get her something from Italy!)

Point is: You can still enjoy your summer whilst completing your NSERC URSA.

I do not want to sound rude but you sound like an entitled selfish brat who got his way and now wants to bail on people when they need you. It is not like this is some day job that you applied for and decided you did not like. Your professor not only helped you apply for an NSERC award (an award that many students would have killed to have been honored - myself included)' date=' but he/she also took the time to write you a nice reference letter. How can you in good conscience knowingly bail on somebody like that when they are counting on you to hold up your end of the bargain. Karma is a *****.. :mad:

ABS:mad:[/quote']

I see where you're coming from. I remember the first year I applied and didn't receive NSERC and would have killed to have it. Knowing that students are just jerking off while other students who are in need of the money not given an opportunity :(

OP, just try to help around the lab. Clean the glassware and w/e. Re-write protocols and make them more efficient.

I do not want to sound rude but you sound like an entitled selfish brat who got his way and now wants to bail on people when they need you. It is not like this is some day job that you applied for and decided you did not like. Your professor not only helped you apply for an NSERC award (an award that many students would have killed to have been honored - myself included)' date=' but he/she also took the time to write you a nice reference letter. How can you in good conscience knowingly bail on somebody like that when they are counting on you to hold up your end of the bargain. Karma is a *****.. :mad:

ABS:mad:[/quote']

I agree, but in less harsh words :o. You made a commitment to the NSERC before knowing the outcome of dental, so whether or not you got into dent shouldn't affect your decision! And I completely agree about the hundreds of people who would've killed for that position, starting with myself. But it's also really good experience down the road, future jobs, maybe you might take on a research project in dent or something later on if you have a chance of heart, plus the fact that you got a letter and a nice PI! Honestly, I can see where you're coming from, but you could have fun while working! And since you started May 1st, you should have 2-3 weeks at the end of summer (Not sure when dent starts?) after the 16 weeks are over. So ask your PI if you can ask them to have it off and relax! Also, are you not doing anything in lab because it's too much or too little? Either way, talk to your PI and see if you can get a smaller or bigger project to suit your needs better :D

Archived