Premed 101 Forums

Inappropriate questions to ask the PD?

Guest MacDude

Guest MacDude

Im confused....when you make an appt to talk to the PD, what types of questions should you be asking??

I know there are the standard questions such as "What is the success rate of residents on the College exam? What funding is there for confrences, research? What is expected in terms of research productivity? Is there flexibility should one choose to do a fellowship?"

But what about stuff that *ahem* really matters ie.

1) What do you look for in a candidate applying to your program?

2) What role does the personal letter have?

3) What is your policy on LOR's - get a mixure from different specialties, or get them only from attendings specific to that specialty? Does the reputation of a reference play a big role?

4) Any specific tips on how I can make myself a strong applicant, specifically to your program?

basically what I wanna know is what the PD and selection commitee is looking for....and this is what every person applying to their program is also looking for....

do you think its inappropriate or "unethical" to ask that? the last thing i want a PD saying is "Sorry, but i think its unfair if I answer that question"

What questions do you usually ask the PD?

thanks a bunch 4 ur help!

Guest McMastergirl

Those are exactly the questions I have asked of program directors. I think those questions are fair game. The only "unethical" questions would be ones like "What are you going to rank me" and questions about other applicants.

A frank discussion with the PD of the program(s) you are applying to is of utmost importance. It is very advantageous to impress upon them your interest in their program. Just as important, you need get an idea of what they will be like to work for. As a resident you will need to have many such frank discussions with your PD and you want to make sure you feel comfortable with him or her. Your program director needs to have your best interests at heart.

I have a great relationship with my program director. She is very organized and we meet twice a year to formally discuss how my rotations are going. Her door is always open if I need to talk, and she encourages me to touch base often. I feel she is very pro-resident, very serious about providing a quality learning experience.

Bottom line: ask away :D

Guest Lactic Folly

What if you were at another institution and wanted to visit more than one program director there.. would it work the same way? Thanks.

Archived