Premed 101 Forums

I've always wanted to ask a med student these questions

Hey everyone!

I've been considering medicine for quite a long time now but never got around to applying as I'm not 100% sure it's my calling. I have some questions I wanted honest answers to from real med students...

1. why did you want to go to med school? How were you so sure it was your true calling?

2. what do you love most about being in medicine?

3. do you regret going to med school? Ever wish you had done something else? (I know many students have a love-hate relationship with med school, but I'm referring to a more general and constant regret and not just temporary frustration)

The reason I wanna know is that it is difficult to know exactly what med school and the profession is like. It's a bit of a gamble I think, especially with all the years, energy and money invested.

I'm about to graduate with a masters degree. Today I know I don't like doing research so much, but I didn't know that until I signed up for a masters. I love science and learning about the human body. I have a great GPA, MCAT marks and extra currics so I think I could easily get in. But I don't want to start and give up later on.

Any input would be amazing.

Thanks in advance

1. why did you want to go to med school? wanted to be a baller like the guys in ER. and i like caring for people. How were you so sure it was your true calling? i wasn't sure at all but i figured i wouldn't be unhappy with it.

2. what do you love most about being in medicine? interacting with patients, making a diagnosis, treating them, watching them get better. nothing like it!

3. do you regret going to med school? Ever wish you had done something else? (I know many students have a love-hate relationship with med school, but I'm referring to a more general and constant regret and not just temporary frustration) nope. it has been awesome so far. i look forward to coming in most days. i expect residency to be even better.

Archived