Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS--support?

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Another set of CaRMS questions: arer there any resources out there that provide advice on completing the CaRMS application? For example, do most medical schools offer some sessions to final-year medical students prior to the time when they begin to complete their CaRMS applications?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest aneliz

At UWO there is at least one academic half-day in 3rd year devoted to explaining the mechanics of the CaRMS match... and traditionally the graduating class hosts a session after they match offering advice to the other classes about CaRMS, interviews, etc. I imagine that other schools do similar things.

Don't stress yet....that is still a few years away!

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there aneliz,

Thanks for the information. That's a great idea, re: having the graduating class host some info sessions. :)

As for all these CaRMS questions, it's not a source of stress at all, I'm just a bit of a planner and also a curious wee bugger. :)

(Incidentally, I've been trying to send you a p.m. over the past couple of days, but when I've clicked on the "send me a private message" function in your EZBoard profile I've been whisked to some non-private messaging function area. :rolleyes )

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 3 weeks later...
Guest McMastergirl

It's never too early to think about CaRMS (especially in a 3 year program).

From the McMaster point of view, there is also lots of support. You can make an appointment with the MD programme's career guidance counsellor, Basilia, and she will do anything from review your personal statements to giving you a mock interview. There are also CaRMS workshops for interview tips.

Personally I didn't use many resources, as I found the process pretty straightforward... however, I only applied to 3 programs. One thing I did do that I'm really glad I did was get my best friends in the program to critique my personal letters. That was a huge help.

Melissa

Guest UWOMED2005
At UWO there is at least one academic half-day in 3rd year devoted to explaining the mechanics of the CaRMS match

Actually, it seems like EVERY academic half day has included a spiel about CaRMS. Sometimes it's felt like we've been CaRMSed to death.

And unfortunately, there hasn't been that much new info in any of the presentations. At least nothing I hadn't learned in 1st or 2nd year from checking the CaRMS website, or reading this board. . . ;)

Archived