Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted

I just gave firm acceptance to Western, so if you are on the waitlist for Mac OT or Queens OT, you might get a bump up.

Good luck to everyone who will be Class of 2014, and all the best to those who are reapplying next year.

Congratulations! I hope it goes well! If I don't get into Mac's OT this year, I'll include UWO next year when I reapply and maybe I'll catch you on here for your thoughts on that program. :)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got into mac and queens, and waitlisted at UofT (14) with a GPA of 3.76.. I think you can get in somewhere, maybe you just needed some experience with the interview processes

ya i did, volunteered at big brothers, got some hospital hours - i think GPA is what is sorta holding me back

I got into mac and queens, and waitlisted at UofT (14) with a GPA of 3.76.. I think you can get in somewhere, maybe you just needed some experience with the interview processes

with the GPA cutoff going on a constant rise, i think it would be a good idea to do some upgrading!

Since summer 2012 and fall 2012 will count towards orpas grades when applying, I think it will be a good idea

Next year, I feel you will need 3.78 to be competitive.

Hi Kin11,

If you don't mind me asking what was your GPA?

And to PHILLY: Are you speaking for the OT cutoff? or the PT cutoff?

Thanks guys.

For my comment about gpa going on a constant rise, I'm speaking about both programs.

However, my guess about 3.78 to be competitive refers to PT.

I am also on the upper 1/3 for Western OT waitlist.. my GPA is also 3.58.. and the cut-off was 3.64. Someone posted here that Western over-accepts.

really, what are the chances? So nervous! fingers crossed.. and congrats to everyone else

Applied for OT at U of T, Western, and U of A.

Accepted to all, but chose to go to U of A.

It was a tough choice between U of A and U of T, but after reading that the job market in Alberta for OTs is better than in Ontario, I chose to work on networking here, where I plan to live in the future.

Applied for OT at U of T, Western, and U of A.

Accepted to all, but chose to go to U of A.

It was a tough choice between U of A and U of T, but after reading that the job market in Alberta for OTs is better than in Ontario, I chose to work on networking here, where I plan to live in the future.

Hi Kiersten, I think you are wise to go to school and network where you plan to live after school, however what did you read that leads you to believe the job market is better for OTs in Alberta? My research shows the opposite...that Ontario is better. My wife is an OT in Alberta (and I'm going to OT school this fall) and new grads always have a hard time finding jobs, especially in the main cities. There are more jobs in rural communities (ie - in the North) . . . if you'd want to live there.

Kiersten, I think your decision is wise and right for you, I just wanted other applicants to be aware of an alternate view respecting jobs.

Best of luck to you.

For those holding out for waitlist offers from Mac or uoft, my friend who was waitlisted for both programs last year but didn't get in. She said that she contacted the schools, and both told her that they over accept so wl movement could be minimal. Ie last year uoft overaccepted too much and ended up with a class size of 105 when they only wanted 85.

Just a heads up for those with an offer in hand who may be waiting on another program.

Hi Kiersten, I think you are wise to go to school and network where you plan to live after school, however what did you read that leads you to believe the job market is better for OTs in Alberta? My research shows the opposite...that Ontario is better. My wife is an OT in Alberta (and I'm going to OT school this fall) and new grads always have a hard time finding jobs, especially in the main cities. There are more jobs in rural communities (ie - in the North) . . . if you'd want to live there.

Kiersten, I think your decision is wise and right for you, I just wanted other applicants to be aware of an alternate view respecting jobs.

Best of luck to you.

Hey there...

I guess I am basing my opinion on the overall job market in Canada. I think that Calgary is great for jobs, and that there are a lot of jobs for OTs here from what my friends who just graduated tell me. One friend told me that 2 of her friends from Ontario haven't found jobs yet, but that all of those she graduated with from Alberta have.

This is by no means a scientific analysis haha, and definitely not something that anyone should take to heart without looking into it themselves. Hope I didn't rain on anyone's parade, just thought I would share what I heard through the grapevine.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to give hope to a few of you out there with GPA's that aren't super competitive...

My cumulative GPA was 3.3, but had almost 3 years of direct OT/PT/SLP experience, heaps of volunteering with adaptive sports and paeds programs and some pretty unique experiences ex. SCI primary caregiver.

This was my second year applying, first year was only at UBC and U of A, second year was UBC, U of A, U of M, Queens, McGill, U of T and Dalhousie (all OT)

First year I had an interview at UBC, second year I had an interview at McGill and was accepted at Queens (didn't get another interview at UBC because the GPA cut off went up because there were twice as many applicants as the previous year).

Good luck next year everyone!

• 1 month later...

Archived