Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has anyone contacted the admissions department at UofT, Mac, or Western to find out how many admissions were given for OT. I'm curious of whether or not they over accepted this year. It would really suck for people like me on the waitlist.

I called Western and although I didn't specifically ask that question I'm under the impression that they didn't over accept. She said that the wait list always moves, the only thing that varies is by how much (sometimes a lot sometimes not as much). I know that the wait list to other schools (like MAC) who over accept usually don't have much movement if at all.

My sGPA was a 3.63 and the cutoff for Western was a 3.64 so she said I still had a pretty good chance of getting in. So depending on your sGPA you may also have a really good chance.

I believe it's a 3.63. Number 17 for Mac doesn't SOUND so bad, but then again there are so many people who are accepting there offers. I really really hope that 17 of them choose not to go there!

That's the same sGPA as me, I called Western and she said I still have a very good chance of getting in.

Hey guys, do you mind me asking where you are on the waitlist? (upper, middle, lower?)

I'm in the upper portion. But since there's 50 people in that part, I don't know how confident to feel since I could be anywhere there. I'm just hoping and waiting!!

What do you guys have to say for someone who just completed first year with a 3.52 GPA? Will this be of much consequence if I decide to apply at the end of my degree?

I will have to strike UofT off my list of schools to apply to since they do not allow degrees that are not liberal arts or science (I'm in a fine art degree, and around 75% of my courses are studio based which is the limit)

I also have to be careful with schools that don't allow BEd courses since I may be enrolling in a concurrent program.

I think that's a great GPA for first year. It really takes a little while to get into a routine that works for you...my GPA increased every year. I think my first semester of University was a 3.0 but my last two years were a combined 3.89. Just keep working hard and you'll get it...and stay on top of the courses you need for prerequisites as well...they've been known to change over the years.

Accepted: Mac OT

Waitlisted: UofT OT

Rejected: Mac PT (after interviews), UofT PT (before interviews/CAP)

sGPA: 3.68 (would be almost 3.70 if counting my MSc grades too so 'just' missed cutoffs :( )

Yeaa...managed to drop one application at every stage of the process. Has anyone managed to find out where they are in the UofT OT waiting list?

EDIT: Made it through the UofT waitlist. Will likely be accepting UofT OT.

That's the same sGPA as me, I called Western and she said I still have a very good chance of getting in.

I contacted Western and this is a direct quote:

''we always make considerably more offers than there are places in order

to fill the class. *Historically, we have always had to contact students

from the waitlist. *This process of calling will begin shortly after the

first round offers expire on June 1st.''

I sure hope I'm called off the waitlist.

Does anyone know what the cutoff was for UofT OT?

I contacted Western and this is a direct quote:

''we always make considerably more offers than there are places in order

to fill the class. *Historically, we have always had to contact students

from the waitlist. *This process of calling will begin shortly after the

first round offers expire on June 1st.''

I sure hope I'm called off the waitlist.

Does anyone know what the cutoff was for UofT OT?

My sGPA was 3.55, if that's any indication. (They may have bumped it up to 3.58 though, since they weren't supposed to include one of the marks in the ORPAS calculation).

Awesome advice guys, thank you!

This is what's on UofT's PT/OT FAQ says:

Which I'm pretty sure my degree will not meet what is required, especially since most of my other courses will be education ones. I guess, if I do end up trying to walk this road in a few years, I will have to take some extra courses if I want to apply to UofT (which I think I would. I totally want to live downtown)

Mirthfulkitten! I think it's awesome that you went to OCAD, what did you study there?

I started out in drawing and painting, but I switched to criticism and curatorial practice after my first year. I guess that's why I didn't have too many studio marks. You're absolutely right that you can take extra courses to apply at U of T, though! Good luck with everything! It's great to see that you're already thinking so far ahead. I didn't even know what OT was until I finished undergrad.

Programs: Occupational Therapy

Applied: McMaster, UWO, Queens

Accepted: McMaster, UWO, Queens

sGPA: 3.80

Background: Honours in Psychology from UPEI. Volunteer co-ordinator for a campus based EAL volunteer-student tutoring program, English Academic Preparation Student Assistant, Statistics lab instructor, Student Learning Mentor in social psychology, Psychology Society president, and Psychology Department student coordinator. Also worked with visually impaired university students and helped pilot a visually impaired curling clinic.

Before May 18, I was always leaning towards UWO. Now I am so confused!

I think that I have definitely ruled Queens out, so if you're on the waitlist there, you may be bumped up soon.

I'm still torn between UWO and Mac. I'm from the east coast, but I got to visit both campuses when I went up for my interview at Mac. I got to speak with a couple OT professors at Western, and they were fantastic, nice, and helpful. I like the various international placement opportunities they told me about. In addition to a normal international placement, I could also try to do the International Public Health placement in Norway. This was very intriguing to me. I haven't had any opportunities to travel outside of North America and would love to do it while I study.

PBL at Mac intrigues and terrifies me all at once. I think that some aspects of it would fit well with my learning styles.

Any advice?

My sGPA was 3.55, if that's any indication. (They may have bumped it up to 3.58 though, since they weren't supposed to include one of the marks in the ORPAS calculation).

Oh jeez, they must have really not liked something from my supplementary application. Maybe a bad reference. My sgpa is around a 3.63, maybe .01 more.

The waiting game continues for me.

Programs: Occupational Therapy

Applied: McMaster, UWO, Queens

Accepted: McMaster, UWO, Queens

sGPA: 3.80

Background: Honours in Psychology from UPEI. Volunteer co-ordinator for a campus based EAL volunteer-student tutoring program, English Academic Preparation Student Assistant, Statistics lab instructor, Student Learning Mentor in social psychology, Psychology Society president, and Psychology Department student coordinator. Also worked with visually impaired university students and helped pilot a visually impaired curling clinic.

Before May 18, I was always leaning towards UWO. Now I am so confused!

I think that I have definitely ruled Queens out, so if you're on the waitlist there, you may be bumped up soon.

I'm still torn between UWO and Mac. I'm from the east coast, but I got to visit both campuses when I went up for my interview at Mac. I got to speak with a couple OT professors at Western, and they were fantastic, nice, and helpful. I like the various international placement opportunities they told me about. In addition to a normal international placement, I could also try to do the International Public Health placement in Norway. This was very intriguing to me. I haven't had any opportunities to travel outside of North America and would love to do it while I study.

PBL at Mac intrigues and terrifies me all at once. I think that some aspects of it would fit well with my learning styles.

Any advice?

Those international placements sound great! It sounds like Western is what your gut is telling you. My understanding is you can't go wrong either way! Both schools have great reputations.

I think that's a great GPA for first year. It really takes a little while to get into a routine that works for you...my GPA increased every year. I think my first semester of University was a 3.0 but my last two years were a combined 3.89. Just keep working hard and you'll get it...and stay on top of the courses you need for prerequisites as well...they've been known to change over the years.

Thanks so much for the positive advice, I really appreciate it. This community is so wonderful in how it supports each other. We're a really lucky group to have this level of support in working towards our respective dreams.

I started out in drawing and painting, but I switched to criticism and curatorial practice after my first year. I guess that's why I didn't have too many studio marks. You're absolutely right that you can take extra courses to apply at U of T, though! Good luck with everything! It's great to see that you're already thinking so far ahead. I didn't even know what OT was until I finished undergrad.

Ahh that makes sense! Any tips for dealing with super subjective courses? You understand the way fine arts courses can be, and I'm quite nervous that I'm going to float around the B/B+ range due to courses like art history and the studio classes. (BTW I totally respect that stream you went through, it takes so much knowledge and critical thinking to cut it in a stream like that. Top notch writing skills, I would think too! Much respect!)

Applied to PT at western, Queens, Mac, U of T

Rejected: western, queens, mac

waitlisted: U of T (30s)

I think im screwed, this sucksssssssss

Don't give up!

you never know with waitlist.

Although U of T is a popular choice for most applicants, it may change from year to year!

so what's the game plan now? Try reapplying again next year?

I guess so, my sGPA was 3.74 so i'm thinking i will have to take some more undergrad courses to up the average and get some more volunteer opportunities - btw this is already my second time applying, 3rd time's a charm right?

I guess so, my sGPA was 3.74 so i'm thinking i will have to take some more undergrad courses to up the average and get some more volunteer opportunities - btw this is already my second time applying, 3rd time's a charm right?

Did you do anything to improve your app since last year?

Applied to PT at western, Queens, Mac, U of T

Rejected: western, queens, mac

waitlisted: U of T (30s)

I think im screwed, this sucksssssssss

I'm with you.

I'm 34th on the waiting list for Mac OT and I want to get in so much. :(

I was rejected from U of T OT and Mac PT.

Archived