Premed 101 Forums

Rejected but still want to pursue PT/OT

So, I applied to and was rejected from Queen's, UofT and Western PT. sGPA = 3.6.

The problem is that I majorly messed up my final year. I got all 4.0's in 3rd year, things were going well. Then poop hit the fan in my 4th year (A LOT of personal/health problems), so that I ended up having to be a part-time student (dropping courses, getting late withdrawals on my transcript) and picking up a 5th year. Even so, my grades never picked up to what they were in 3rd year.

Anyway, I'll be graduating this summer.

What should I do? Master's degree to boost my chances? Move on to another profession? Get another undergrad degree (I want to avoid this if possible)?

I'd really appreciate some help as I'm feeling pretty bummed about my bleak future right now... Thanks... :)

If I were in this situation, I would probably take the year off to get more experience under the belt - volunteer and work wise. Try new things (e.g., work as a research assistant, pick up a brand new hobby, and the like) or go for the Master's degree; and don't feel too bad about this cycle!

Good luck!

Have you considered prolonging graduation to take more courses that will help boost your GPA? I agree with citrine that you should try volunteer and work experience, but at the end of the day you need to bring that sGPA up to get through the first round. So I would focus on boosting that sGPA by taking more courses, or looking into a Master's program of some sort if you're up for that.

Don't be disheartened, it will all work out!

Guest Physioprospect

So sorry to hear your news, I was there last year. I highly suggest not doing a masters. I would boost your GPA by doing additional course work and get it 3.75+ a full course load and a half, of A's will get you there. Again sorry for you.

I highly suggest not doing a masters. I would boost your GPA by doing additional course work and get it 3.75+ a full course load and a half, of A's will get you there. Again sorry for you.

Thanks for the advice! I heard that getting a master's isn't the wisest choice. Will any of the courses I take post-graduation still be considered in the GPA calculation?

I would look into different programs and see how they look at graduate degrees.

i would also look into completing an after-degree - something where you can sort of start anew, do really well in the next 2 years, then come out and reapply.

Your grades may be sufficient for a few OT places across Canada, but I would still say take extra courses just in case. I also do not encourage you to apply to OT if it wouldn't make you happy, but is shares similarities with PT.

1) I've started looking into graduate degrees but I'm hearing mixed responses about whether or not it's really beneficial.

2) I don't think I've heard of this "after-degree" -- do you just keep taking courses beyond graduation? Or just start fresh with a new undergrad degree in mind?

3) I've thought about OT. I didn't apply this year because I was just working towards PT, but I'd definitely consider it. :)

Guest Physioprospect

yes all courses will be looked at if they are a normal course (not pass/fail) Even second year courses count at some schools. Its an expsensive route to take but if your passionate about PT a few extra thousand dollars in the long run is welllllll worth it. Best of luck

I agree with what the others have said.

At the end of the day, the strength of your candidacy comes down to the following factors: GPA + personal statement + reference letters + interview.

In the next year, I would advice working on the first three. For increasing your GPA, see if you can enroll in a "special year" and take courses in some related discipline. I know quite a few people who did that and got into OT/PT the following year.

For your personal statement and reference letters, you should get more specific experience. If you are unable to enroll in the "special year", try working or volunteering in related settings. In my opinion, that definitely shows dedication to the profession and you will also have more to talk about in your personal statement.

If your heart is not into it, don't do a masters. You will not enjoy it and perhaps take the spot of someone who might actually be interested in research.

I was in a very similar situation to yours but fortunately for me it was my 3rd year that dragged my sGPA down. I decided I'd take some courses after my graduation to get my GPA up to where it needed to be. The problem with that, in your situation, is that the courses you take now will only remove other courses that you got 4.0 in.

The one solution I see is the one that worked best for me. UBC OT (and PT, I assume) will allow you to take the same course twice and only take the highest grade in their calculations. They don't just look at the last 20 (or 10 full year) courses, they look at all 3rd and 4th level courses, regardless of when you've taken them.

If you retook your worst courses from 4th year and replaced them with A's, you would have a very good chance of getting in to UBC. Even now you might get an interview, but going in to that interview with a higher grade really improves your chances.

Good luck! I stuck with it for 2 years after graduation (1 semester of courses each year) and I finally got in. It's totally possible.

Archived