Premed 101 Forums

U of T PT vs Mac PT

U of T PT vs Mac PT vs other  

7 members have voted

1. 1. U of T PT vs Mac PT vs other

• U of T PT
    • Mac PT
    • Other (Queen's/Western/UofA/UBC etc..)

Just wanted to make a poll and see whether people prefer U of T over Mac or vice versa. (if you had the choice between the 2 schools)

And if you could put reasons why, then that would be awesome too.

making this poll for myself too i guess..looking for some insight

i am currently leaning towards U of T but i'm getting cold feet! there's this feeling inside me telling me i'll be sad if i leave mac (but i guess that's what undergrad does to you, makes you attached to the school)

I like Mac because of the self-directed (PBL) learning concept. If you think about it, if someone comes into your clinic with a unique problem that you haven't encountered in your program, you'll need to research it. Mac students are known to be great researchers. You'll be able to get the best available research and understand how to apply it to your clients. And even if you have learned it in the program, if someone comes in 15 years from now, the opinions on how best to approach the treatment may have changed since then. Also, since the learning is case-based, I feel like it'll be easier to remember then just receiving the information in lecture. If you attach a context/situation to something, it's easier to remember...that's the whole basis of their approach.

It teaches you to solve problems on your own, just like you will have to in the real world. It isn't completely all on your own, you do get guidance and lectures too. I see it as the fast track to real life.

I accepted my Mac PT offer yesterday.

If you accept U of T, you'll still be a great physio. You really can't go wrong.

I like Mac because of the self-directed (PBL) learning concept. If you think about it, if someone comes into your clinic with a unique problem that you haven't encountered in your program, you'll need to research it. Mac students are known to be great researchers. You'll be able to get the best available research and understand how to apply it to your clients. And even if you have learned it in the program, if someone comes in 15 years from now, the opinions on how best to approach the treatment may have changed since then. Also, since the learning is case-based, I feel like it'll be easier to remember then just receiving the information in lecture. If you attach a context/situation to something, it's easier to remember...that's the whole basis of their approach.

It teaches you to solve problems on your own, just like you will have to in the real world. It isn't completely all on your own, you do get guidance and lectures too. I see it as the fast track to real life.

I accepted my Mac PT offer yesterday.

If you accept U of T, you'll still be a great physio. You really can't go wrong.

I dont see how being at mac is the only way a pt will know how to research a problem they do not understand at first... when anyone does not know an answer to a problem im sure they will be looking for an answer afterwards. It is up to the individual. If you want to stay up to date with modern techniques you will, if you are satisfied with your 2 years then you will stick to that. motivation is essential in any program and career to stay up to date. All programs have research and PBL components, just not for their CORE concepts like Mac believes in. in other programs that have longer days, i see that as more identical to real life. i dont know many pts who work 2 hrs take a few off then come back for 3-4 hrs. As far as i understand 6-8 hour days with lunch in between is the norm in the real world. sorry if I sound like I am bashing, just another perspective.

I dont see how being at mac is the only way a pt will know how to research a problem they do not understand at first... when anyone does not know an answer to a problem im sure they will be looking for an answer afterwards. It is up to the individual. If you want to stay up to date with modern techniques you will, if you are satisfied with your 2 years then you will stick to that. motivation is essential in any program and career to stay up to date. All programs have research and PBL components, just not for their CORE concepts like Mac believes in. in other programs that have longer days, i see that as more identical to real life. i dont know many pts who work 2 hrs take a few off then come back for 3-4 hrs. As far as i understand 6-8 hour days with lunch in between is the norm in the real world. sorry if I sound like I am bashing, just another perspective.

dont worry! didn't see any bashing. just discussion here :)

if you don't mind me asking, which program will you be accepting?

Yes! We are winning :). haha

I'm pretty sure whichever schools we choose, individually we will rationalize that decision whether or not we want to or not. We will normally do this by either upping our own school or downing the others and selective hearing. I don't think we can really go wrong with whichever programs we choose. I've heard great things about each.

Anyone know the job prospects for each of the program grads? If I wanted to work in Ottawa, Montreal or Toronto, does it impact me if I studied at Western or UT (hypothetical example).

No worries, I don't see it as bashing, just discussion. If I went to U of T, I have no doubt that I know how to research. However, the frequency of independently researching things is greater at Mac because of their learning style. When someone comes into your clinic, you have to collect a health history, identify the important elements of the case, research what you believe to be relevant/what you aren't familiar with, then use what you have found to create a treatment plan. This is exactly what you to when you work through a PBT case at Mac, and that's what I think is cool about the program. The group work is awsome because it emulates healthcare teams and allows you to bounce ideas off eachother. That way, you see different perspectives instead of just one. And also, your group members can elaborate things that you don't understand. You aren't given the material, you find it yourself, and the fact that you're discovering it on your own in a context (applying it to the case/scenerio you've been given) is a way to help you remember it.

However U of T must be doing something right. When I got my acceptance the other day, two different governing bodies rated it the #1 program in Canada. So congrats to Philly and everyone else that was accepted there.

No worries, I don't see it as bashing, just discussion. If I went to U of T, I have no doubt that I know how to research. However, the frequency of independently researching things is greater at Mac because of their learning style. When someone comes into your clinic, you have to collect a health history, identify the important elements of the case, research what you believe to be relevant/what you aren't familiar with, then use what you have found to create a treatment plan. This is exactly what you to when you work through a PBT case at Mac, and that's what I think is cool about the program. The group work is awsome because it emulates healthcare teams and allows you to bounce ideas off eachother. That way, you see different perspectives instead of just one. And also, your group members can elaborate things that you don't understand. You aren't given the material, you find it yourself, and the fact that you're discovering it on your own in a context (applying it to the case/scenerio you've been given) is a way to help you remember it.

However U of T must be doing something right. When I got my acceptance the other day, two different governing bodies rated it the #1 program in Canada. So congrats to Philly and everyone else that was accepted there.

The PBL aspect of Mac was definitely worrisome and one of the reasons I was deterred from picking Mac. While it is a very innovative idea for people to learn and figure out solutions on their own. Very applicable to real life as you do work in teams of health care professionals. I guess it should be good for people who are well suited to this type of learning!

Btw where did you see this ranking!? governing bodies..who?

The PBL aspect of Mac was definitely worrisome and one of the reasons I was deterred from picking Mac. While it is a very innovative idea for people to learn and figure out solutions on their own. Very applicable to real life as you do work in teams of health care professionals. I guess it should be good for people who are well suited to this type of learning!

Btw where did you see this ranking!? governing bodies..who?

So for everyone who was asking me about these rankings: not sure if "governing body" was the appropriate choice of words lol but here's what my U of T PT acceptance letter says: "In recognition of our excellence in education, both Physiotherapy Education Accreditation Canada and the Comission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education have given our (U of T) program their top rating."

So for everyone who was asking me about these rankings: not sure if "governing body" was the appropriate choice of words lol but here's what my U of T PT acceptance letter says: "In recognition of our excellence in education, both Physiotherapy Education Accreditation Canada and the Comission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education have given our (U of T) program their top rating."

haha yes! just found it on my acceptance letter

i skimmed through it so quickly, didn't even catch my eye

Guest Physioprospect

just because a program is given a "top rating" doesnt mean its the number one ranked program in Canada. Its the same thing as saying its a five star hotel, theres lots of other 5 star hotels.

I need to decide between Western of U of T!?! I still don't know what to do. Is U of T much harder?

LOL you have only till the end of today to decide!

I wouldn't say one program is much harder than the other

they are all pretty much on the same level

I hear Western has a good ortho program

U of T has a good cardio resp program & good network

well if you choose UofT don't forget to join the fb group! :Phttps://www.facebook.com/groups/356602557727651/

oh and your $250 deposit needs to be in by today!

Archived