Premed 101 Forums

Post-CaRMS curricula

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I thought of this while posting some congratulations to strider on the other thread. Would you guys who are in the various programs across the country mind commenting on the activities that take place in your schools post-match? For example, I understand the UBC offers a "back to basics" program where the basic science of clinical work, etc., is covered. These sorts of sessions can come in hand for some of the licensing exams that are also written around this time. ...but what do the other schools do for fourth year medical students at this time? :rolleyes

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest aneliz

UWO has 'transition period' for 4th years between Feb and mid-April. It is a return to basics type program..they pick and choose what classes they wish to attend...everything from a review of neuroscience to ethics to forensic medicine....some to address deficiencies that they feel they have, some for enjoyment. They have some assignments during this period, but no exams...they are supposed to be studying for the licensing exam....but they do need to show up and get the gold star for attendance to pass the transition period.

However, it seems that they have more than enough time right now to plan formals, work on their yearbook and Tachy skit and go out to celebrate Match day with "drink chugging and booty shaking" according to the e-mail we got from them yesterday!

Guest jmh2005

At Mac, we have "Unit 6" which is 10 weeks long and address professional, ethical and practice issues. There is a theme per week which is addressed in the form of lectures/seminars/small groups, etc... I believe that class time is something like 6-9 hours per week and on top of that there are LMCC review lectures (2-3 per week, 2-3 hours each) given on all topics over the 10 weeks. A great time to mingle with classmates, study for the LMCC and think about the future (and plan a holiday to Europe pre-residency) :)

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Thanks you two for your feedback re: Western and McMaster. :)

Can anyone comment on that period of time for UofT and Ottawa?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest cheech10

Fourth year runs until the beginning of May with rotations as normal. We get 2 weeks off for CaRMS interviews (not really enough, and less than other schools, but better than previously when no time off was given). The Bruce Tovey lecture series is also given to 4th years to help them prepare for exams, but I think they're given on top of the normal rotation schedule.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there cheech10,

Thanks very much for that. :) Is it commonplace that schools continue to run their rotations after the CaRMS match? I mean, at that point, what is the point, aside from gaining some additional clinical skills? Also, it would be less than ideal to spend some time in a new rotation that you end up finding out that you enjoy, post-match. :rolleyes

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest McMastergirl

I am currently in Unit 6 at Mac and I must say it is lovely to not be in clerkship anymore! Especially since we have to study for the LMCC and, until yesterday, worry about CaRMS! I can't imagine having to do clinical rotations right up until the end! This is a much deserved break!

Guest cheech10

The point is simply to complete the required rotations that we need for graduation. Some of the core rotations are scheduled that late in 4th year, and therefore need to be done. I can't really comment any further, because I don't know any more though.

Guest UWOMED2005

Queen's students are still doing clerkship rotations post-CaRMS. They start their clerkship stuff in January of third year (as opposed to September,) and then are doing either electives or core clerkship rotations until they graduate.

(any Queen's med students feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!)

Archived