Premed 101 Forums

Most of the time it's because they've already moved somewhere else by the time the convocation ceremony happens (and some people just don't care about things like convocation). When you're in grad school you tend to defend/finish at odd times of the year, or you might get a job and move away and finish things long distance. If you're on the other side of the country (or in Europe like a few people I know) by the time convocation rolls around, it just might not be worth it to you to pay for a trip back for it.

I didn't go to my Master's convocation because I felt like I had just gone to my BSc convocation (2 years earlier). Also, I had gone to my boyfriend's Master's convocation the year before, and everything (even the keynote speech) was exactly the same as at my BSc convocation!!! I didn't want to have to wear another rented gown and waste a whole day in Convocation hall.

Most of the time it's because they've already moved somewhere else by the time the convocation ceremony happens (and some people just don't care about things like convocation). When you're in grad school you tend to defend/finish at odd times of the year, or you might get a job and move away and finish things long distance. If you're on the other side of the country (or in Europe like a few people I know) by the time convocation rolls around, it just might not be worth it to you to pay for a trip back for it.

I want to attend my masters convocation ceremony because I want to take some portrait photos with convocation regalia since I didn't take any portrait photos from my undegrad convocation. It gets expensive since I don't have a job. Regaliar rental $45 and portrait photo $25 (total $70). I'm not really sure if I should attend the convocation ceremony this June.

I actually did not want to go.

I was feeling very miserable after months of doing nothing and was too scared to see/meet people I recognized in the state I was in (utter embarrassment and depressed).

However, I was given a little push and off I went, wasted about 70$ for renting gown but I don't regret attending the ceremony.

I want to attend my masters convocation ceremony because I want to take some portrait photos with convocation regalia since I didn't take any portrait photos from my undegrad convocation. It gets expensive since I don't have a job. Regaliar rental $45 and portrait photo $25 (total $70). I'm not really sure if I should attend the convocation ceremony this June.

Definitely go if you want to! I've gone to all of mine. I love that kind of stuff. It does get a bit boring sitting there for hours (and when I got my PhD I had to sit on the stage for the rest of the ceremony after they gave me my degree, which was like 2 more hours, and I felt super awkward, but it was still fun). There's no reason not to go if you want to and can, it's just that a lot of people either don't want to or it would be a logistical nightmare/expensive to do so.

Archived