Premed 101 Forums

Clerkship, residency and bad breath?

Guest physiology

Guest physiology

I was wondering, do residents and clerks, after working late into the morning get bad breath? Personally, I've found that most people get "bad breath" between 1 am and 6 am, regardless of whether you sleep or not.

This is a really dumb question probably, but whatever, if anything, I hope this puts a smile on your face :)

What about flossing/brushing? Is it hard to maintain regular oral hygiene during those long hours?

Guest jmh2005

A very funny question....but here's my answer...when I'm on call I ALWAYS bring my toothbrush and always brush my teeth before turning in (thankfully I've had at least 2-3 hours on most of my on-call shifts) and brush again before I get up for the day (just like I would at home!!)...some of our on-call rooms have sinks in them and most rooms are so close to the bathroom (almost TOO close, I was woken up the other night by the roar of the industrial toilet on the other side of the wall!) you have plenty of opportunities to brush your pearly whites...this should be the least thing to worry about...when all else fails and you are SO busy...Clorets gum works wonders :)

Guest UWOMED2005

Fortunately, my sense of smell is rather poorly developed. :)

But seriously, I always bring toothbrush/deoderant/etc for when I'm on call. The only times I haven't brushed my teeth have been the occasions without any sleep. . . and I don't think you can get morning breath if you never actually slepy.

Guest physiology

Bad breath only when you sleep eh?

UWOMED2005, you wanna do a research project to find out why? And then make lotsa moolah $$$?

Haha...anyway, thanks for your insight. What about showers? Do they give you access to those?

I like one shower per day. If that's stretched, then I start feeling grimey :(

Guest UWOMED2005

When you say "one shower per day," are you referring to a 24-hr day, or a 48 hr day? (as defined by time you awoke and when you went to bed) ;)

Guest physiology

Haha...UWOMED2005...I'm referring to a 24 hour day.

Deodorant can only take me so far. After 24 hours without a shower, my hair and skin start to get greasy <shudder> :\

Guest jmh2005

Trust me, after 24 hours of call, the last thing I really care about is a shower...A clip for my hair, some fresh scrubs and deodorant is usually good enough to make it through till noon, despite feeling greasy...when I get home, then I shower. There are showers available however, but if you shower that's (for me) a half hour less of sleep...so I usually choose sleep. When you get there..you will too :)

Guest CaesarCornelius

I have perpetual halitosis so it doesnt matter for me.. ANyway I was wondering if you go straight to bed once you get home from being on call all night.

Say you get let go at 12noon (post call), would you go straight to bed? I imagine it would be hard to sleep later that night, and you would be tired again the next morning when you have to go back to work again.

CC

Guest therealcrackers

Naps.

Sleep for a couple of hours, get up, do your regular thing until the evening, and try to go to bed a bit early. Get a little more than the usual amount of sleep for the night (counting the nap) and you will be OK.

Archived