Premed 101 Forums

So I've decided to apply to med school for Sept 2013.

I've been lurking on this forum for awhile, it's a great resource!

But, of course, I'd love if some people could chance me! I'll try to keep this brief!

I live in Ontario. Would prefer to go OOP but realize that's not likely to happen.

Undergraduate honours biology degree - graduated 2003 - cGPA 2.79 (OMSAS), 2 best years GPA is 3.81 (OMSAS) - my last 10 credits. I took 4.0 credits per year x 5 years.

Masters degree microbiology and immunology GPA 3.90.

2 years working for big pharma (in the lab), then 4.5 years in a cancer research lab, and most recently just over 1 year as an Allied Health Professional. I've been on many committees in these positions (Health and Safety, Social, etc etc).

I've got several years volunteer experience, post grad certificates in Infection Control and Antimicrobial Stewardship. All sorts of clinical experience and direct patient interactions.

I wish all schools had the 10 year rule. Two best years were 2002 and 2003. Worst years 99-2001. Kills me that having way too much fun 11-13 years ago still follows me around now. (Still, I don't know that I'd change a thing!)

There is so much info I don't even know where to start!

Western requires a full course load (5 classes per semester) in those 2 best years. Queens appears to be your best (only?) shot if you make the mcat cutoffs. They also only look at your 2 most recent years of undergrad, not best. That cgpa isn't going to cut it for med school in Canada. If you are serious about pursuing medicine, look into doing a second undergrad. You can usually finish it in 2-3 years and it may open up more doors. I believe Calgary has the 10-year rule but I don't know too much about it or their requirements.

Western requires a full course load (5 classes per semester) in those 2 best years. Queens appears to be your best (only?) shot if you make the mcat cutoffs. They also only look at your 2 most recent years of undergrad, not best. That cgpa isn't going to cut it for med school in Canada. If you are serious about pursuing medicine, look into doing a second undergrad. You can usually finish it in 2-3 years and it may open up more doors. I believe Calgary has the 10-year rule but I don't know too much about it or their requirements.

This ^^

A second undergrad is your only option to increase chances of getting into med school in Canada.

Boo. I'm not willing to go back and do another undergrad. I wrote the mcat in spring 2002. Got a 38S. I've signed up to write it again this summer, hope I do well again, and keep my fingers crossed for Queens.

Thanks guys.

If your best two years EACH are above Western's cut-off (changes every year, but either 3.70 or 3.75, can't remember) then you're guaranteed an interview I think. Also have a shot at Queen's since 3.81 for last 2 years is pretty good.

I didn't know Western's GPA cut-off changed every year...I thought it was always 3.7 in each of your best two years?

Why would you re-write? Look into U of S, I am not solid on the details but you used to be able to apply as OOP by MCAT only and that is a great score.

Ah! Thanks! I figured it was 10 years old - I wouldn't be able to use it anymore - will have been 10 years in August. I will look into it :)

Ah! Thanks! I figured it was 10 years old - I wouldn't be able to use it anymore - will have been 10 years in August. I will look into it :)

I think the cut-off for most Canadian schools is a 5-year-old MCAT (except Manitoba, which is 3 years). For most schools in the States, it's also 3 years. I know this because I have to re-write my MCAT from 2007 in order to apply this cycle.

Archived