Premed 101 Forums

Question regarding degrees

I am a Canadian applicant, and recently graduated from UofT with a honors Bachelor of Science degree.

I'm looking to do a second 2-year degree at York U. Am I allowed to do another Hon. Bachelor of Science degree or is that not allowed. Otherwise I can do a Bachelor of Arts degree.

Thanks.

Yes, it's entirely possible. I'm currently doing my second B.Sc. in Nutrition at Western after completing a B.Sc. in Biochemistry at McMaster. However, it depends on the school and the program. For example, I wouldn't have been allowed to do a second B.Sc. at the University of Guelph, because requirements from my B.Sc. at McMaster were too similar. I believe their rule is that the course requirements of your second B.Sc. can not overlap those of your first degree by more than 25% or 50%. Western on the other hand had no problem with me doing a second degree after getting almost 2 years worth of transfer credit. Again, this varies by school. You need to put in the effort to look into these things yourself. Nobody on here can tell you whether you can or can't, and their opinion doesn't matter in the end anyways. It really depends on your previous degree, what program you're interested, and what school you're planning to attend.

Whether it will impact your application to medical schools is a completely different matter. You need to be very careful with course selection, as some schools have rules that stipulate how many and which courses you can take in a second degree. For example, Schulich has the 3/5 Rule and only allows you to apply in your final year of a degree. If you're not familiar with these rules, you need to look them up.

This exact question has been asked so many times that you should be able to find an answer by searching or by reading the stickies at the top of this forum. If you still have questions, I recommend you contact schools directly to ask them. People on these forums are very knowledgeable, but they don't know everything. There's quite a bit of misinformation floating around about school policies, in part due to the fact that schools change them frequently. It's best to get your info from the school directly. Try to get the info you need in an email so you have a copy of it in case you need to cover your butt in the future.

I am a Canadian applicant, and recently graduated from UofT with a honors Bachelor of Science degree.

I'm looking to do a second 2-year degree at York U. Am I allowed to do another Hon. Bachelor of Science degree or is that not allowed. Otherwise I can do a Bachelor of Arts degree.

Thanks.

Like the poster above said, you can do a 2nd BSc.H. And York is especially generous with regards to transfer credits. What program were you interested in, specifically? I might be able to help you out.

Thanks for the replies.

I have read Western's rules for second degree. From what I gathered, it needs to be honors or equivalent (i.e. leading to a masters) and 3/5 must be senior level courses (which are 2nd year courses with prereq, 3rd and 4th year courses). Can someone confirm this. Also am I missing any other rule?

Like the poster above said, you can do a 2nd BSc.H. And York is especially generous with regards to transfer credits. What program were you interested in, specifically? I might be able to help you out.

My previous degree was Hon. BSc at UofT with major in Human Biology and Zoology.

I am thinking of doing a double major in Kinesiology and Psychology (Bachelor of Arts degree) at York. Are these programs good? I'll have to see if they let me do another Bsc.

Thanks for the replies.

I have read Western's rules for second degree. From what I gathered, it needs to be honors or equivalent (i.e. leading to a masters) and 3/5 must be senior level courses (which are 2nd year courses with prereq, 3rd and 4th year courses). Can someone confirm this. Also am I missing any other rule?

That sounds correct, but I'm not sure about the definition of senior courses. According to Western's website, senior just means 2000 and above (2nd year or higher) with no mention of prerequisites. Again, this is something you should confirm with the school before selecting courses.

When picking your program of study for your second UG degree, my only advice is to pick something that you are actually interested in. Don't just pick a program because you think it will be easy or you think that med school admissions will like it. The truth is schools in Canada don't even look at your program of study, they only look at your OMSAS GPA. Also, in my experience, there's no such thing as an "easy" university program. They all have challenging courses that require you to put in some degree of work. If you pick a program you enjoy, you're going to want to learn about it, and good grades will follow.

You do a second degree and it is just like the first degree. In your second year of that degree you must have at least 3/5 credits at the second year or higher, and in your years 3 and 4 you must have at least 3/5 courses at EITHER the third or fourth year level.

It would actually be pretty difficult to fast track (use transfer credits to finish faster than 4 years) a degree and not meet these rules as transfer credits wouldn't generally include the upper year courses.

Thanks for the replies.

My previous degree was Hon. BSc at UofT with major in Human Biology and Zoology.

I am thinking of doing a double major in Kinesiology and Psychology (Bachelor of Arts degree) at York. Are these programs good? I'll have to see if they let me do another Bsc.

Sounds good to me :) I also just finished my first degree in Biology (BScH) and am starting a 2nd degree at York in Psychology (also B.ScH). If psyc dept allowed me to do this, then they will let you do it too I am pretty sure, but I am not 100% sure about Kine. Have you asked them?

Archived