Premed 101 Forums

As an American grad...

Guest moo

...would it be stupid not to apply to the NRMP and only apply to CaRMs? I ask this since this year the NRMP is before CaRMs and it kinda sucks that I would have to rank all US programs above Canadian programs if this is the case when I apply in two years. It's already tough enough that I can't inter-rank but now I essentially have to rank all US programs above all Canadian programs? Or will the dates reverse in two years? Would it be extremely risky? I might as well not take the USMLE then...

Guest Ian Wong

You would have to be absolutely out of your freakin' mind not to apply to the NRMP... :) The CaRMS deadline should usually be ahead of the NRMP; this is the first time in CaRMS history that the NRMP match date occurs first, and is due to the fact that SARS delayed a lot of the Ontario med schools' electives times, and the CaRMS match was therefore pushed back 4 weeks to allow students to regain some of that elective time.

Ian

Guest Ian Wong

I would hope that CaRMS would come to its senses and set the dates so that individuals who applied to both Canada and the US would have first crack at Canadian programs. As cheech10 has mentioned, there is no definite statement in the works as to how things will be over the next couple of years.

The only factual statement that can be made is that this year, for the first time in CaRMS' history, the US match went before the Canadian match. Whether this is a one shot deal or the start of a new trend is unknown, but my personal guess is that this is a one-time event. Politically it looks really bad if Canadian grads end up in the US, especially if this is encouraged by having the US match proceed before the Canadian one.

Ian

Guest Carolyn

About 2 years ago when I attended the ACME (association of Canadian Medical Education) meeting where they reveal all of the CaRMS stats... there was a lot of discussion around the dates and trying to push them back so that people interviewed/matched even earlier than now... last year was the first year we matched in February - and I thought that the hope was to go even earlier if possible - however, the concern was the number of curriculums that work around the 2 week interview period in January.... Anyways, that was the direction they were heading two years ago and then SARS hit...

As such, I'd be surprised if they didn't revert back to at least last year's schedule with Match Day in February and CaRMS match before the US match.

The other important thing in deciding moo is to look at what the stats are... while they did interview Cdns going to school in the states last year - it would be interesting to see how many actually matched. I have yet to meet anyone who was schooled in the states doing their PGY-1 year -- of course there could be lots - I just haven't run into anyone!

Thanks for the info. I hope the push the date back to February. It's kind of annoying that they'd do this all of a sudden.

I think only about 17 US grads applied last year, of which 9 withdrew (and presumably are doing their residency in the US) so only 8 actually completed the whole match. So it's probably not surprising that you haven't bumped into any US grads yet.

Guest kellyl20

What about Canadians that went to the Carribean med schools but did their 3rd and 4th year hospital rotations in the US.... are they give the same preference for the Canadian Carms match as the Canadians who are US med school grads?

Guest Ian Wong

Carib med schools are not accredited by the LCME (the association that accredits Canadian and US allopathic medical schools), and therefore you would not be allowed to match into the first round of CaRMS. Most/all Carib grads usually end up taking residencies in the US as a result.

Ian

Archived