Premed 101 Forums

1st Year Courses @ York University Biomedical Science Program

Hey guys,

This is to the individuals who are in York and finished at least first year(Also graduated students).Any advice/recommendations for 1st year courses that are relatively easy to maximize my GPA as much as possible. I've received an email from the admissions stating that I'll need to take Chem, Bio, Math(Calculus), Computer Use, and a General Educational course. However, computer use and the general education course, can be taken in later years. Should I take it in first year anyways? Also stating the courses you've taken in your undergrad years would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I'm a U of T student, but speaking from 5 years of undergrad experience...

Don't actively hunt for bird courses. You'll stress so much over it and you'll freak if it's not what you thought it was (which is fairly often). Just take it easy, remain positive, and work hard. That's the real ticket to getting good grades, not playing the system. Trust me. :o

And now I open the floor to York students to tell me I'm all wrong and that OP should take this, this and this.

I'm a York student and believe you are right.

There is no such thing as a bird course. Every course requires some amount of effort to exceed and it largely depends on the professor as well.

Just stay calm and positive. Take courses you enjoy, work hard and you'll set yourself up for a good GPA.

and to specifically answer the OP's question; first year is pretty basic. You're going to take your usual chemistry, biology, calculus, and physics or psychology. The last course would be an elective - I'd recommend sociology or economics.

I thought you need to take computer use? Is physics/ psychology mandatory?

I'm a York student and believe you are right.

There is no such thing as a bird course. Every course requires some amount of effort to exceed and it largely depends on the professor as well.

Just stay calm and positive. Take courses you enjoy, work hard and you'll set yourself up for a good GPA.

and to specifically answer the OP's question; first year is pretty basic. You're going to take your usual chemistry, biology, calculus, and physics or psychology. The last course would be an elective - I'd recommend sociology or economics.

That is an example right there. Economics is considered a bird course but I found it harder than chem and physics :o

Personal opinion here

I suggest not taking chem, bio and physics in the same semester

Even though their like recap of high school stuff plus a little more, I dont know it was just hard for me. I had 85's in those subjects for gr12 and when I got into university I was like woah =S, then again maybe just me but thats my 2 cents

Archived