Premed 101 Forums

Major Depressive Disorder

Hey you, thank you for taking notice of my thread.

I have finished my undergrad in biochemistry this year and I am currently looking to apply to medical schools.

I suppose that you can say my case is slightly different from most of the applicants, as I had been diagnosed with a major depressive disorder in second year. The depression started in the first year, and was full blown in second year.

Here is where my problem comes into play.

In my first year, I had a perfect GPA in the first semester, which declined to 3.5 as the depression began.

In second year, most of my marks were in the 70's. I had them replaced with credits known as CR, meaning that those grades do not reflect my full potential due to unforeseen circumstances.

In the summer of second year, I received help and slowly started to make progress. With the help of my family and friends, I managed to get back up onto my feet faster than I expected.

In third year, my GPA was 3.92.

In fourth year, it was 3.97.

My questions are how would medical schools view the credits for most of the courses required were taken during that year? Is there a way that I can explain my circumstance to the medical schools? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

*Summary: Had low GPA and replaced marks with credits in first and second year due to depression, what should I do for my medical school application?

Archived