Premed 101 Forums

Canada Residency Info

Guest saminfo

Guest saminfo

Hi,

There´s a few questions I´d like to make...I graduated from a Brazilian Med School and I´m a US citizen.

1) What should I do to be accepted in a Residency Training Program in Canada?

2) Do residents get well paid? (I´m married)

3) After I finish my residency , can I practice medicine in USA? Is it possible for me to do my fellowship in the US?

Guest Ian Wong

Hi there,

1) There's a whole forum devoted to individuals who are interested in coming to Canada to practise medicine, and you can find many links there:

pub125.ezboard.com/fpremed101frm27

Your first step should be to visit the CaRMS website, which coordinates residency training for Canadians. You should know that it is very difficult to get a residency position in Canada if you did not graduate from a Canadian medical school. This last year, I believe less than 20% of all International Medical Graduates (IMG's), who applied for residency positions in Canada were able to get them. As a result, applying to the US for residencies may be a more successful option.

2) Here's the salary schedule for Canadian resident physicians; your first year of salary is around $40,000 CDN, and increases each year:

pub125.ezboard.com/fpremed101frm25.showMessage?topicID=57.topic

3) Depending on the specialty, you may be eligible to write the US board exam after you have graduated from a Canadian residency. Some specialties will allow you to do this, and others will not. I don't have much specific information on which specialties are eligible for this and which ones don't.

Ian

Guest saminfo

Hi Ian,

Thank you very much for your answer. I appreciate it. I guess I´ll continue to prepare myself to get the ECFMG certification.

Sam

Archived