Premed 101 Forums

Bombing MCAT except VR

Just wondering if anyone has written the MCAT, only studying for the VR section to apply to MAC?

I'm considering this. I don't intend on applying to any other schools. I'd like to hear from anyone who has done this themselves and been accepted or at least invited for an interview.

They do say repeatedly that they don't look at the other sections.

Thanks!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People have used that strategy - they aren't lying to you about only caring about the VR section (remember a lot of this is done via computer - I cannot imagine someone actually manually checking 4000 VR scores - that is the point of OMSAS to prevent that :) )

If you took a premed-esque program in undergrad, you'll probably be familiar with at least 50% of the Chem and bio stuff. Might need to brush up on some physics or orgo but it doesnt take long to study for. Mac isnt the only med school in ontario :P Might be worth taking a bit of time to study so that you at least make the cutoffs for other schools.

BUT.... all that being said... Definitely focus on verbal. Just read over the other stuff if you have time.

I know someone in our class that got in this year and they literally wrote just the VR section. It is perfectly possible.

side note - I can imagine the evil stares that person would get when they walk out of the mcat centre all cool and collected after only just over an hour :)

I did this exact thing, and am SO glad I did. Just wrote the VR section, and answered only one question in each of the other sections, which "voids" them. I informed the exam administrators why I was leaving early. It wasn't a problem, and I'm starting at Mac this September. PM me if you want to know more.

I have been in contact with a first year MacMed'ian and she says she literally just clicked "a" for every question until the VR section, so it is true :) she said she failed the other parts just to get to the VR part, but clearly it didn't impact her. Good luck! I tried to register today not thinking they'd all be full... looks like its next year for me :(

Am I the only one that finds it a little concerning that in addition to having no pre req requirements that students can also gain acceptance having demonstrated zero knowledge of basic sciences?

I know they will teach you what you need to know while in school but you'd think they would want a demonstration of some basic science understanding either through pre req's or the MCAT, no?

Out of the six medical schools in Ontario, three require the entire MCAT - including science sections - (Western, Toronto, Queens), and three do not (NOSM, Ottawa, McMaster). Clearly, if failure to prove your knowledge of basic sciences through the MCAT testing impacted your ability to study medicine, NOSM, Ottawa, and McMaster would not produce medical students that successfully pass the MCCQEs. So I don't believe the completion of the science sections on the MCAT will dictate someone's ability to study medicine or become a competent physician.

Considering that the black box that was once medical knowledge is now unlocked thanks to various emergent technologies, it's now more important for physicians to be interpreters and critics of this information. Any member of the public now has access to a massive repertoire of medical knowledge that used to be locked away in the brains or practitioners and hallowed halls of schools. The interpretation and communication of this information is less reliant on the knowledge of scientific fact and more on general comprehension skills.

My $0.02 on the train of MacMeds students defending their choice of medical school.

Out of the six medical schools in Ontario, three require the entire MCAT - including science sections - (Western, Toronto, Queens), and three do not (NOSM, Ottawa, McMaster). Clearly, if failure to prove your knowledge of basic sciences through the MCAT testing impacted your ability to study medicine, NOSM, Ottawa, and McMaster would not produce medical students that successfully pass the MCCQEs. So I don't believe the completion of the science sections on the MCAT will dictate someone's ability to study medicine or become a competent physician.

Firstly, of the three you mentioned, only Mac and NOSM don't require pre-req's in some basic sciences.

Secondly, who asked anything about competent physicians? I asked if anyone was concerned that Mac (and NOSM) don't require demonstration of any basic science knowledge.

Some of you need to take the defensive fork out of your ass.

to be fair, your "concerning" does imply there's something wrong with the process right? it is peculiar and unique, but then again, its Mac we're talking about, for better or for worse

There is no to be fair about it. I am a person asking a question both as a student and as a citizen who consumes medical services in this country I do find it a bit irregular that there are medical schools that don't require even a primitive understanding basic science.

Mac is likely going to end up being my first choice but that doesn't mean I am incapable of questioning such logic. In fact, I feel it is my duty to question the teaching ideology of potential schools that I may be interested in instead of just drinking the kool-aid and getting defensive just because someone asked a question.

I'm doing the same thing! :) and it's not that I don't have basic science knowledge - I am an RN and I know just as much as my medical colleagues know and on top of that I have many docs asking me questions and for advice so I'm not the least bit concerned! Maybe Im not a expert in physics or organic chem, but I'm a damn good health professional and I know my stuff, and I'll make an excellent physician some day soon! Working full time doesn't provide me with enough time to study for all the sections this summer but I do intend to take some science courses to help me with the MCAT science sections should I decide to rewrite sometime.

Bottom line for me, only focusing on the verbal section shouldn't concern anyone! It takes all different types to be physicians! I think anyone who isn't qualified to be a physician likely won't make it through medical school anyway...

Good luck to all!!

Firstly, of the three you mentioned, only Mac and NOSM don't require pre-req's in some basic sciences.

Secondly, who asked anything about competent physicians? I asked if anyone was concerned that Mac (and NOSM) don't require demonstration of any basic science knowledge.

Some of you need to take the defensive fork out of your ass.

I'm confused. If you were "concerned" that Mac does not require basic sciences, what exactly are you "concerned" about then, if it's not related to the ability to study medicine or the eventual competency of the medical student/physician? You asked a question. I answered it. Not sure where you're coming up with this "defensive" piece.

There is no to be fair about it. I am a person asking a question both as a student and as a citizen who consumes medical services in this country I do find it a bit irregular that there are medical schools that don't require even a primitive understanding basic science.

Mac is likely going to end up being my first choice but that doesn't mean I am incapable of questioning such logic. In fact, I feel it is my duty to question the teaching ideology of potential schools that I may be interested in instead of just drinking the kool-aid and getting defensive just because someone asked a question.

In all truth this is a fair point to be made (albeit the delivery of said point was a bit rough). However, I think the reason that Mac and NOSM do not require any pre-req undergraduate courses in the basic sciences is because they expect you to learn what basic science is required in pre-clerkship. At Mac, the PBL system works wonders for this. If you know that you are particularly weak in physiology for example, you can dedicate more time to studying it.

Yes, if you've already had 3-4 years training in the basic sciences you probably have an advantage when it comes to several cases. The bottom line however is that you need only know enough basic sciences to lay a solid foundation upon which you build your clinical skills. And I think what Mac/NOSM are getting at by removing pre-reqs is that they are confident in their MD curriculum to ensure that all their students attain a solid enough training in basic sciences regardless of educational background :)

I'll be doing the exact same thing. While I took a few biology courses in my undergrad, I haven't touched chem since grade 12 and I've never taken physics. Unfortunately, I realised that I want to pursue medicine right after graduating. I have a 3.8ish cgpa and I'm confident that, if admitted, I am capable of learning the necessary material and hopefully becoming an excellent physician one day.

I'm very grateful that Mac has opened the MD program to applicants from all disciplines and I think more schools should follow suit, especially in regards to the emphasis on social and problem-solving skills, as these skills are so important in the practice of medicine and may be more difficult to learn than scientific knowledge, as someone already mentioned.

I have taken as many sciences as I can through my school (astronomy 1 and 2, bio 1 and 2, anatomy and physiology) but now I am at my 1000 levels max. I am going to take human sexuality (which focuses on the reproductive system complete with labs). Physics is not offered at my satellite campus, chemistry is new here but I have exhausted my 1000 levels doing the other sciences. I don't think it will make a difference if I understand vectors and force. May the most worthy students get in, I say.

And like a few of you have pointed out already, you can have a doctor with absolutely NO compassion or personality deliver you a cancer diagnosis and leave the room three minutes later. It's not my cup of tea. I think doctors need to have compassion.... they need a personality, and those are things you can't learn in an MCAT prep course.

If you have sciences and are warm, enthusiastic, and charming, why are you worried? Your sciences will get you through the MCAT, your charm will help you ace the interview. Why worry about everyone else? Unless of course you are lacking on the personable front, in which case, I wish you luck.

Archived