Premed 101 Forums

my chances/advice on schools?

Apologies folks for yet another "what are my chances" thread, but I honestly have no idea where I'd fit in (if at all) given the depth of American school options. Haven't researched the prospect much prior to this as I had my heart set on a Canadian school, but I feel like it may be wise to look into after 2 unsuccessful years of applying Canadian (interviewed/waitlisted this year).

My AMCAS GPA is approximately 3.52 (including all 4 years of UG plus my MSc coursework). MCAT score was 32S (11VR). I'm pretty aware that with a far from stellar GPA like mine and a borderline MCAT score that my options may be pretty limited!

ECs are fairly well balanced (sports team captain, long term volunteering with elderly, shadowing physicians etc), although a bit research heavy (summer student, national & local awards/scholarships, several peer-reviewed publications incl 2 as first author, and many local & international abstract/oral presentations).

Schools I'm planning on applying to at this stage:

Michigan State, Rosalind Franklin, George Washington, Hawaii, Wayne State, Penn State, NYMC, Jefferson, Medical College of Wisconsin, Georgetown, Kentucky, SUNY Upstate, St Louis U

Thanks again for the advice!

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Unfortunately DO isn't something I'm considering at this stage, as I would like to leave my doors open in terms of returning to Canada.

I was lucky enough to get a couple interviews this year in Canada (feel like im getting closer at least!), but nonetheless would like some US options as safeties/backups for next year.

So far my list is as follows, although it's a bit big so suggestions on any to add/remove would be great:

Michigan State, Rosalind Franklin, George Washington, Hawaii, Wayne State, Penn State, NYMC, Jefferson, Medical College of Wisconsin, Georgetown, Kentucky, SUNY Upstate, St Louis U

Is there any point in me adding a few "reach" schools such as Boston U, AECOM, and NYU just on the off chance put a greater weight on my research experience/awards (ie something other than my borderline GPA).

Sorry to bump, but any advice would be greatly appreciated - do you guys think I would be wasting money include Case and Dartmouth as "upper-reach" schools (as well as BU, NYU, AECOM)? Just wondering if there is potential of them looking past a borderline GPA in favor of strong research/pubs/awards etc (as is the case with some CDN schools such as UofT, Queen's, etc).

hey,

-GPAs are calculated differently! At people from Western, I know that 80> is an automatic 4.0. So your GPA might be higher than when it is calculated via OMSAS standard.

-How many times have you written MCAT? some schools do take that into consideration so it is important!

-They look for more well-rounded app, so if you have awesome research/award and stuff, you definitely have a chance in lower-tier schools. I also know that SLU is friendly towards Canadians (actually there are quite few of them going there. including someone I did MSC with).

-I might rewrite MCAT if I want to apply for high-tier university :)

does anyone happen to know if there are any canadian friendly schools on the west coast (mid/lower tier?) that might be an option for someone with stats like mine. I'm from BC and I'd love to stay close to the west, but it seems that most of the schools in my range are east coast.

Archived